Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

Well, here I go again converting another AMT 18"er Constitution Class Star Ship.

This 18"er ENTERPRISE kit will become a model of the U.S.S. INTREPID - NCC-1708 that was under repair in 2267 at Starbase 11 (Court Martial) and later destroyed by the spaceborn amoebae in 2268 (The Immunity Syndrome).

According to Star Trek History, the INTREPID was manned entirely by Vulcans.

The Franz Joseph Tech Manual gives this ship the 1708 hull number.

I am building it as a Second Pilot Film version of this ship, at a time before it arrived at Starbase 11.

For the conversion, I had to carefully cut the lower profile bridge off the ship and raise it up to better match the 2nd pilot film height.

Here's the hole in the B/C deck where the bridge use to be. I had to sand this area flat for when I glue the heightened bridge back on.

Just thought I'd see what the Refit ENTERPRISE bridge might look like on this ship.

Here's the bridge with the turbo elevator removed and glued to a piece of 1/8" thick sheet styrene. This should be a good height for the bridge.

Here's the bridge when cut off the sheet of styrene. Note that this is almost circular.

Here's the piece after sanding the plastic ring and filing in gaps with Tamyia Grey Putty (Old Tube)

Here's a test fit of the bridge. I still have to smooth out the filler.

The finished bridge, awaiting paint.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I really enjoy reading WIPs that get into this level of detail. Thanks for posting this. I am learning sooooooooo much from you guys.

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
I like what you are doing with this project. Since you are showing the Intrepid prior to it's arriving at the Starbase for repairs, are you going to show the damage to be repaired? Everybody does the Constellation damage, it would be cool to show a different section (like a hangar deck explosion or secondary hull breach)- good potential backstory...

I am going to watch this build with interest..

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wasn't intending to have dammage on this one. I have the 4 ships from "The Ultimate Computer" for that.

This ship would be going to get the "Production Series" upgrades, like removal of engine spikes, addition of rear "Power Bulb", lower bridge, etc.

Check my threads for the dammaged U.S.S. Excalibur somewhere on this fourm.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi everyone!

Well, it's been 3 long years now and I finally got around to working on this ship again!

Well, you know...babies, recession, fighting to keep my hobby store alive...etc...makes a guy forget these "Important Things".

Anyway, on to the new pics!

New turbo elevator (Plastruct Styrene Rod) fitted and attached for new turbo elevator shaft.

Here's the difference a can of grey primer can make! The bridge looks like it came this way right from AMT!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts