Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang!

Just wondering how someone could make a model of the U.S.S. Defiant and make it glow like in TOS.

Original TOS picture

TOS Remastered Picture
Would you paint and decal it first, and then add glow in the dark paint in a simular fashion to a clear coat?

I might do this to an 18"er.

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
In my case, I took the model all the way to final matte coat, let it sit for weeks and then painted the glow paint over it. Hand brushing gave a patchy look, which fit with the original, but the glow power wasn't there. When I remember to buy som super glow stuff, I'll redo mine.

Avoid the Rustoelum glow paint Here's my thread querry on the same topic.

http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=262241

Slingshot was also doing this back in August, but don't know if he posted an update.

There was a recent thread on glow paint, but don't remember what it was called. But overall the consensus seems to be getting the super-ultra powder pigments and mixing your own.

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
they make a clear fluorescent mix that you can add to any color to make it UV reactive. I think it's Apple Barrel or some other craft paint like that. Could you take whatever color you're paining the ship and mix in some of it and display it under a black light, maybe add a little fluorescent green in to taste?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Off the wall thought:

Is this a situation where if one DIDN'T do all the light blocking techniques, and maybe thinned the styrene in places on the inside with a dremel, could you load it up with superbright green LEDs and get an effect?

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
I would airbrush it the correct color using glow in the dark paints, probably have to mix some together for the right color, and then after letting it dry apply decals and airbrush clear glow in the dark paint.

·
Registered
1 Posts
[QUOTE =“ MadCap Romanian,发布:3040526,成员:27943”]
嗨,帮派!

只是想知道有人如何制作USS Defiant的模型并使它像TOS一样发光。

原始TOS图片

TOS重新制作的图片
您是否会先对其进行油漆和贴花,然后以类似的方式将深色油漆中的辉光添加到透明涂层上?

我可能会对18英寸长的人这样做。
[/引用]
Pretty ideas!How's it going now? If you have any questions, I'm glad to talk with you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts