Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys and girls!

This is my take on the U.S.S. Constellation as seen in the old Star Trek Episode "The Doomsday Machine".

It's built up from three unwanted and junked AMT 18" Enterprise kits which were produced from 1967-present day, however most of the doner kits were produced from 1986-1995. Other pieces which I didn't have are scratch built from Evergreen styrene plastic.

The engines came from my friend Jason who gave me three engines and some secondary hull parts in @ 1989. He had "Cut" off the engines from their pylons using a lighter and glued them to a saucer (which I didn't get). The whole thing was painted thickly with Glow in The Dark and aluminum paint and the unusable secondary hull parts had some X-acto knife etchings carved into them which made them useless.

I added in and scratch built most of the secondary hull parts like the new engine pylons, and 1 side of the neck. I also have 1 rear nacell cap and a slightly busted sensor dish.

A fresh saucer and all it's parts came from Barry Yoner who used a different saucer to make an 18"er into a model of the Endeavor (A ship caught between TOS and TMP).

I still need to find or make the 6 engine intercoolers though. Anyone got some in their junk bin?

On this side of the ship I had to make the entire neck from 2 pieces of 1/4" thick sheet styrene, filed to shape. The nacell support struts were also made the same way.

The putty on the secondary hull is used to fill the horrendous gap that occurs in the kit.

This nacell was blown appart when the Constellation encountered the planet killer.

I used a hair dryer to soften the plastic on the outer engine houseing and then I installed all the plastic tubes, shearing the ends of the tubes off in wierd angles.

The opposite side of the same engine.

Notice the dammaged intercoolers on the bottom edge of the engine housing.

A shot showing the gap difference along the seam line. I filled the gap with Tamiya Grey Putty and sanded it down after I took this picture. There are still some spots that need a second coat.

The opposite engine.

Here, I used a textured piece of Evergreen sheet styrene to show what would be immediatly under the skin if the starship was grazed by a photon or disruptor blast. This side lost it's 3 intercoolers.

Anyway, more work to do. just thought I'd show these WIP's for your comments.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ok...after two months, I finally decided to destroy the saucer section. It took this long because I was aprehensive of wreaking a 100% perfect 18"er saucer, but the results look great!

The inner decks were made from Evergreen Sheet Styrene, heated and dammaged with a cigarette lighter.

Here's a real picture of the Constellation from the TV episode :

Mine has more "Artistic Liscence, and I might just rename it "Excalibur" instead.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Looks great so far! I have the Alliance 1/1000 Doomsday conversion that I will build someday and just bought the 18in repop from amt to make the Constellation from useing the Alliance set as a guide!

Cant wait to see her finished!

BTW, that still from the episode you used is the same pic that I have on my P/C at work as my desktop bachground! Everyone at work thinks I'm nuts!

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Disaster on 2 ships today! The gold decals on the consitution decided to peel up on me, so I clear-coated them, only to have the clear coat mess up the decals.

The constellation's secondary hull and warp engines were painted with a fine coat of primer which went on perfectly...but when I painted the finish coat of light grey, the stupid thing poped out of my clip and crahed on the dirty, dusty porch....wet with paint too. The darn thing split on 2 seam lines. So now I'm waiting on paint to dry before continuing.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got a picture of the dammaged saucer to share with everyone!

This part was seporate from the secondary hull, which broke, so I was able to paint it with more control.

This is some painting practice using the top of the saucer section. Currently, the part is in grey primer with flat black battle dammage added from a spray can. The "Phaser" dammage is from a Weller soldering iron.

Soon I will paint a nice gloss light grey over the entire saucer, decal the model, and then re-paint the batle damage with the flat black paint.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm hoping so.

Appart from the cracks, I think that the screwed up paint might be an advantage in some reguards. If i sand down the model, I might cut through the light grey paint and get into the primer underneath. This could add to the "Dammaged" look.

As for the cracks, I might loose a lot pf paint trying to fix them. Hopefully, it won't be too bad.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's ok Mitchellmania. When I first signed up for this board, it use to be the Polar Lights thread. In fact, I still have that in my bookmarks.

Over that time, I made a lot of friends here. It's these friends I'm showing my models to.

I know it doesn't fit in "the formula" of the boards, but this is where I want to be. :D

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I didn't mean to sound gruff, There's a Science Fiction Modeling threads here on Hobby Talk. Scroll down the list a couple and it's there. This board if for figure models.:wave:
No, this board is for any kind of model building. That is why it carries the title of "The Modeling Forum".

If a topic needs to be in another forum, then the moderators will move it. That is why the lyrics topic is still going strong right where it is.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Here's the Constellation with a little paint on it.

I decided to paint the remaining Warp Nacelle with a Metallic Blue instead of the usual Orange or Transperant Red to show what the engine might look like with no power to it.

After I set the decals, I will add in the Flat Black dammage paint to the model.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Back when I was a teen, I did a wrecked AMT TOS and used Life cereal as inner detail girders, and what-not. It "toasts" nicely with a lighter and looks pretty good. Smells like cinnamon rolls cooking, too!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts