Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tom Zahorsky is here @ Summer Smash and was giving a seminar in terms of future JL distribution; also discussing Tomica products

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Basically that he has to show that the Tomica products are being moved and so long as that's happening the JL line can be focused on. F64 is moving sporadically and with the lack of retailers agreeing to take on the full JL line it's harder and harder. 2.0 as noted is off the table for the remainder of '12 but it is hoped (so it's claimed) that 2.0 and another line (not revealed) will be available for '13. Just now, it's mostly predicated on Tomica's sales/marketing performance.

The gist of it is that Mr. Z's hands are tied just now as he's got the Parent Co.'s bosses on him to push what's originally "their" product over others.

That's the news thus far.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Given the posts that have been seen, I wonder how hostile of a group he found he was facing and if he was even able to disarm any of it?

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
The gist of it is that Mr. Z's hands are tied just now as he's got the Parent Co.'s bosses on him to push what's originally "their" product over others.

That's the news thus far.

And you didn't have to be a rocket scientist to come to that conclusion. :dude:

I'll keep buying Johhnny Lightning cars from the Playing Mantis days. :hat:

·
Registered
207 Posts
I bet you're all having fun. Sounds familiar - like Lightning Fest last year. Lots of questions about Tomica, hands being tied, etc.

Just wish they would still do Lightning Fest here in Iowa. It's been fun to attend and meet people, but I guess Dyersville is too small of a burb to host an event like that. At least in corporate eyes. In my eyes, they've just needed to advertise better, get more community and collector involvement to run events. I know a lot of you guys came a long way to visit the thriving metropolis and run some events and contribute to the forums.

Here's hoping it, and Johnny Lightning, find their way back.

·
Registered
94 Posts
wow!
so what a great attraction to the summer smash show.
a whole hour with tomy zahorsky stand up act discuss JLs demise. i wonder how many travel far and many miles to show up just to hear this news. did summer smash advertise this for the show? Tomy Z have special giveaway Tomy car just for this? still others who will "sucking it up" and pay 6-7 dollars for this junk.

and dont forget to tip the bartender and waitress.

JL joke.:lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Summer smash message was buy Tomy or JL goes away forever? As in "forever 64" becomes "deep 6ed. " Whoa, dude, that's heavy. Like, if we can't weigh the line with metal bases any longer, we'll throw our weight on you and create even more pressure in your life.

I thought diecast collecting was supposed to be fun. I also thought (perhaps mistakenly) that people who got involved in designing toy cars did do because they enjoyed them, or some aspect of the automotive industry.

So how come every time this guy opens his mouth I feel like I'm hearing the latest reasons why our economy can't be balanced, or why the price of gasoline has to be increased again?

If Tom has a new line coming in JL, or is enthuesed at all about bringing Tomicas into the USA, how come I'm never hearing him say, "Wow, look what we're able to offer you in the coming year from all the cool diecast this company now has to offer? How come I'm hearing pressure tactics, scare tactics...is this what he believes is going to sell cars? Is he just a terrible public speaker and spokesperson?

Hire a PR mouthpiece for crying out loud. Or give up the diecast business and go into politics.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Sounds to this admittedly newbie that he has nothing to offer

but excuses

for why he has nothing to offer
You put it much more concisely. But yes, that's it in a nutshell. When he was with RC2, JL was hanging by a constant thread due to that company giving him budgetary decrees. Now we have a new company giving him a new set of hands tied decrees to keep JL on life support. I just don't see the line as anything more than a whipping post to keep fans in a constant state of sweat and a nice tax write off so the numbers come out ahead most years.

If that's honestly what it takes to keep the line alive though, why announce new plans for another potential line for next year?

Like I've said in a previous post, if next year happens to be a year where a legitimate effort is needed to look like they aren't just using this line as a write off...I believe tax laws only allow a loss for so many years in a row, then a profit is neded to keep it around or you have to pack it in legally.

So by that token, we can justify the few random years where new product seemed to pop up and look lke all was going in a better direction...only to have the sails torn the following year and the same excuses prevail.

I have no doubt this could be a profitable line once more. But until some dramatic shift occurs that allow some other line to become the loss and JL gets new life, or a new overseer, this has been, and will continue to be par for the course.

·
Registered
207 Posts
If I were TOMY and looking to increase sales of the Tomica line...I would look at
a) where else can I sell this, to increase sales? =

b) is there a price point that needs to be set to be able to compete?
c) what castings are selling?

TRU is the only place I've seen them..and I rarely go there anymore. If they were in Wal Mart, KMart, Target, etc (or maybe they are, and I'm just missing them completely), at an affordable price, maybe parents would reach for them instead of Hot Wheels? Maybe collectors would see them and look at the details? I don't know. I have some older Tomicas, but no newer ones.

I hope JL continues to do its thing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts