Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Saturday at the track some guys showed up looking for parts,
for some Tyco HP2s that didn't work.
They said they found a track and those cars in somebody's trash and set up the track.
I sold them 2 of my Mattel Tyco 440X2 rolling chassis and the HP2 bodies fit on them.
Adjusted the pickup shoes and they were all set up.

Today (Saturday) they showed up at the track with those rollers.
The pickup shoes were worn all the way through with patches soldered on them.
The guide pins were worn to where they were like needles.
The brushes were worn to about 1/16" long.
One of the rollers was in pieces.
And they had cleaned the track with steel wool and it was all over the magnets.

I asked them what have they been doing with those cars ?
They said they have been running them on the track all day and night around the clock.
* and they did that with no oil.

So I took the chassis apart and cleaned them.
Put on new pickup shoes, guide pins, brushes, polished the commutators and oiled them.
And I did that all for free.

I have a feeling I'll be seeing them next Saturday.
There is something just not right about those guys.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Sounds like normal racers just getting into it to me!!!

Next week take em' to a HOPRA race, just make sure they don't OD.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It did impress me that they run those Tyco 440X2s that hard all week.

They must have put hundreds of miles on them.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Yep, when I was a kid I had no idea about oiling the cars or changing pickup shoes... I just ran them until them stopped running. That being said, it didn't happen too often, those magna tractions I have were built to take some serious abuse...

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Mentally insane? Nah...

... I think they´re just infected with our virus and you´re guilty in the first degree! :) So you have to take charge of taking them by the hand! :p

Look at it like this: They enjoyed racing the crap out of their new cars (fine thing, isn´t it?), but lack the required knowledge of maintaining (or even the need of having to maintain) their chassis (which is also O.K. - we all were once bloody beginners).

All these guys need now is someone introducing them into this hobby. Show them how to disassemble a chassis, tell ´em which places need a drop of oil, explain them, how to tweak P/U shoes, how to change motor brushes, let them try different diameter slip on silicones etc. and they might become really addicted to our hobby!

I myself had a good time last weekend at a race event in Vienna (Austria). A younger guy (maybe in his late twenties), who only has a handful of Tomy turbo and SG+ cars so far, asked me if I could show him the different sorts of cars I had in my race case.

I gladly explained him the different kinds of chassis, let him try each car he wanted to try , gave him all my controllers I had with me (Parmas from 35 to 120 Ohms and my latest aquisition, an older Professor Motor diode controller, which BTW is a cool gizmo suitable for ALL my HO cars) to show him, how the cars handle depending on the given kind of controller.

At the end of the weekend that guy was really gratefully saying goodbye and I´m quite sure he´ll show up at this event next year with his own race case!

It´s all about sharing fun and spreading the word, isn´t it?

BTW: I myself remember more than well racing my new Aurora MT cars (white/green 917 Porsche + red Ferrari 512 M) at the age of ten (they were distributed by Faller at that time = Christmas 1977). I had nobody around telling me what to do to maintain the cars, so we raced them virtually to death then. What a joy to receive a set of spare parts for Easter and finally being able to bring back my 2 cars to life! And the orange/black/blue Porsche Carrera and the truck and trailer I got next X-mas. Or the 4 Carrera 160 cars I bought from my pocket money about 1979 when Carrera dropped that line of cars - they were dumped for only 10 DM then, which was still a lot of money for a 12-year-old. Wish I have had more $$$ at that time...

Ahh, memories! :):):)

Best regards and greetings from Germany,

Claus

1 - 7 of 7 Posts