Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Thunderjets, Lesney Matchbox, Hot Wheels, Johnny Lightning
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been racing for the last year on a Tyco track that is mostly scratch built; it started as a “Ferrari Faceoff” set which I added to multiple times. One of the things I added was a terminal from my original childhood Turbo Boost 300 set; this was a gimmick that amounts to a rheostat with lever controlled resistance than can be set for each track. Since I am racing just for fun and not seriously competitive I am not concerned about rules and regs, so I really liked the granular control this terminal gives me, as it allows me to dial-in the right amount of juice, especially when I need to reduce it for those cars that are too fast.

I am now building a much bigger new track and decided to change platforms to Tomy AFX: I tested one out before buying and have to admit I do think the track design is superior; its less fragile, I like the deeper slot, and the power delivery seems more even. I’m disappointed that I have not been able to find a product-even an old one-that seems to offer the equivalent of this “Turbo Boost 300” terminal control. I supposed I could rig up something myself but it would likely look sloppy; I would prefer something factory made and cool looking. Does anyone know if anything exists-now or in the past-that would provide this functionality for Tomy AFX?

2021-01-03 14.12.42.jpeg

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
“There is no equivalent”

Well, fair enough; Tyco is all I’ve had for most of my “slotting career” but having tried the AFX track for the first time just in the last few months, I was sold on it. I have specifically looked for a Tyco to AFX adaptor in the past and not found them, so if I read you correctly, twolff, the Auto World track design is identical to the Tomy AFX design and these will work. Well… duly noted and thanks, that was valuable information!

I guess my remaining question is, how well will it work using the AFX terminal for power and controllers while using the Tyco Turbo Boost rheostats…seems like it should work, I suspect the electricity doesn’t care about the track brand. And now I have some ‘sperimenting to do!

·
Registered
792 Posts
I don't know what the Tyco Turbo Boost does. But, I doubt it does anything but add resistance to the circuit as the "boost lever" is lowered. You'll want to run your power and controllers on the Tyco Turbo Boost track section. Not on the Tomy terminal track section.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know what the Tyco Turbo Boost does. But, I doubt it does anything but add resistance to the circuit as the "boost lever" is lowered. You'll want to run your power and controllers on the Tyco Turbo Boost track section. Not on the Tomy terminal track section.
Yes, that's all it does; its a second "layer" of resistance control in addition to the hand controller. And I think you're right about needing to use this terminal for power if I go with the adaptor, and that may be an issue because ideally I wanted to stay with the AFX power pack rather than reverting to the Tyco power pack. I have ordered the adaptors you pointed out and am waiting for them to arrive, and if they do indeed adapt my AFX to my Tyco track then I've got a "whole new world" of fun to have. Even if it using this terminal doesn't work out, being able to adapt one to the other will certainly make things interesting!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts