Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm making a second attempt at a 22 inch version of the original 33 inch Enterprise. I'm hoping to improve on my first attempt in a number of ways, most importantly by addressing details that I had elected to not deal with during that first attempt (mainly because the project as a whole seemed quite overwhelming at the time I started it). In most other respects, I'll be doing many of the same things I did on the first, only hopefully better the second time around.

To help understand what it is that I'm attempting to improve on, here are a few comparison images of my first attempt with the original model (click images to enlarge).

It isn't that I was unhappy with my first attempt, only that I'd like to believe that I can do better with additional skills I've gained.

The first attempt was also a way of cross checking my plans for the 33 inch model (here). I printed out a version of those plans at two-third scale as a reference, but also took note where issues popped up (my model not looking like the photos during the build). I've made notes and will return to the plans to make corrections some time in the near future. But those same plans that I printed out are still being used for this second attempt.

-continued below-

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Progress to date...

This model is very similar to the first in that I'll be using a lot of parts from the 22 inch cutaway model and third party parts for that kit. I had considered doing a one-to-one scale build this time, but I don't even have a place where I could lay the full size plans out flat. Plus I'd wanted a full size build to be of the same materials as the original model (kiln-dried sugar pine).

As on the first, the primary hull and dorsal will be scratch built. And because I don't need the model kit for that part, I've started on those parts even before acquiring another 22 inch kit.

The primary hull (for both models) started out as sections of foamcore board that were glued together to make the basic shape.

I then started filling in the stair steps with a paper mache pulp while taking care to create uniform curves.

And I've started the B/C deck structure using the same techniques.

Plus I've started in on parts that I'll be using for the warp nacelles and slowly been working on creating a smooth surface on the primary hull.

I did buy a kit over the weekend, so it should be showing up soon. On my first attempt I removed the dorsal and lengthened the secondary hull by 3/8 of an inch. I'll be doing the same on this second build, but also reworking the fantail this time around.

I had also changed the point where the supports meet the nacelles on my first one and extended the inner trench back an additional quarter inch. I'm pretty sure I'll do the same thing this time, but I'll also be adding on rear domes rather than using the DLM rear nacelle caps.

So that is about where things stand at this point. I've been working on this for about three weeks, but I've made as much progress as I had in nearly three months on the first model (with far better results), so I'm very optimistic as to how this will turn out.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Very cool Shaw!!!:cool:
I for one am happy to see someone so devoted to TOS. It looks like a work of art in progress!:thumbsup:
Please keep us up to date with more pics. of course.
-Jim
P.S. Did you get to see my build of the 22" ?

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

P.S. Did you get to see my build of the 22" ?
Yeah... it is awesome! :thumbsup:

Someone had sent me a link to the album of your build. It is one of the models I show to people when they ask about building the 22 inch model because it is a perfect example of the potential the kit has (specially for those willing to put the extra effort into it).

I only wish my Constellation turned out as nicely as your Enterprise (aside from the lighting, which I hadn't attempted).

Because my Enterprise was the first model I'd built in nearly 15 years, I had originally bought two kits in case I had made any mistakes. When I was happy enough with my modifications, I built up the other as the Constellation (as a practice model). She isn't finished, and I plan on going back to fix a number of things.

I love her, but I'm more likely to show people your work than my Constellation when it comes to discussions of the 22 inch model.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I love that nacelle effect. How dod you do it? Steel Wool?
As it turned out, I had come across these small pom-pom like things in a hobby store and realized that the gold and red ones would work nice for a nacelle dome effect. I'm going to have to think of something else this time as I can't seem to find them anymore.

This is what the other colors looked like...

Their not really useful for the nacelle stuff, but they sorta give you an idea of what the ones I used looked like outside of the domes.

They weren't expensive, and I'm kicking myself for not having bought more of them when I had a chance.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
As I've said at R.I., excellent work, David! I look forward to seeing the progression on your latest build. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
THANK YOU Shaw, that truly means a lot.:D
Yours looks GREAT!
-Jim

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
As it turned out, I had come across these small pom-pom like things...
Pom-pom like things? POM-POM LIKE THINGS?! Don't you know a punk Tribble when you see one? Geeessss. What kinda Trekkie are you? :lol:

Next thing you know, you'll be saying you don't know what Quadrotriticale is!

... hey, you're not a Klingon agent now are you? Just so we can be sure, take a picture of yourself holding one of those punk Tribbles Mr. and post it: By order of Star Fleet Security - [Or.#2-7331B of Sec. 1, article 26(c)] - possible infiltration of enemy agents.

hal9001-

Oh yeah...really cool work by the way!

·
Starship Class
11,859 Posts
Excellent project! This is definitely an under-represented version of the original 1701.

I went with the 18" model on my project. I'm stuck trying to correct something right now I originally intended to not deal with (number of rings behind the deflector dish). After that, I'm close to primer stage. ( http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=189017 )

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
... hey, you're not a Klingon agent now are you? Just so we can be sure, take a picture of yourself holding one of those punk Tribbles Mr. and post it: By order of Star Fleet Security - [Or.#2-7331B of Sec. 1, article 26(c)] - possible infiltration of enemy agents.
I love tribbles, and have one of my own... but I don't know what it thinks of tribble-kids these days. :p

I went with the 18" model on my project...
Actually it was your project that first made me realize why all my previous models of the Enterprise had left me unsatisfied. I realized that what I really always wanted in a display model of the Enterprise was what we saw on the table in "Requiem for Methuselah".

As I've said at R.I., excellent work, David! I look forward to seeing the progression on your latest build. :thumbsup:
Thanks!

I appreciated all the encouragement throughout the building of the first model. It really helped.

_____________​
I've been doing additional surface work on the primary hull. It takes a long time, but the end result should be worth it.

·
Starship Class
11,859 Posts
Actually it was your project that first made me realize why all my previous models of the Enterprise had left me unsatisfied. .
Wow! That's great to hear! I was about to jump off the Bedford Falls bridge! :D

It's a wonderful model! :thumbsup:

Coming along nicely. I'm glad to see you're using the 22" version. It's a good size and has some useful proportions besides the obvious differences between it and the 33" FX model.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Some updating...

I finally got another cutaway kit (it wasn't that important to have it right at the start of this as I wasn't needing any of it's parts at the previous stages). One of the first things I did was I started disassembling the parts I needed for the secondary hull.

At this point I started seriously reconsidering how to do the nacelle domes. Unlike the shape of the model (which I was able to get quite easily from the images I have), the colors proved more illusive (as so many of the images are either black & white or have had their color "corrected"). I went through my collection and found two images that I decided to use as a reference for what I'm aiming for.

What I decided to try doing was first frosting the inside of the domes, second painting the out side with Testors' semi-transparent Champagne Gold Metallic, and then filling the dome with something white (like cotton, very loosely packed). I think this combination will replicate the look of the original model.

This is the results of my first test attempt with a spare dome...

I was happy enough with that to try out the effect on my first model's domes. Here are some images (with my awful camera) along with an image of some of the disassemble kit parts.

The first area I wanted to tackle on the secondary hull was the hangar/fan tail/undercut. I cut off the trailing edge and flipped it upside down so I could use it as a starting point for reconstruction. I also cut a wooden sphere into the shape I needed for the hangar doors and there will be a wall directly forward of them like on the original model (which could be seen starting in the third season after it had lost it's hangar doors).

This shows a test assembly of those pieces so I could be sure everything fit together.

I glued the new fan tail to the secondary hull and started in on sculpting the new undercut. I still have some refining and cleaning up of that area over the next couple days, but I think these images show where it is heading.

Think that brings everything up to date.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys!

I got a chance to take some better images of the old model with the new domes... here is how it turned out.

I have some time to put more thought into this before I reach this stage on the current model (I haven't even ordered the domes yet), but I'm happy with the general direction of this dome effect.

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hey Shaw, I've been following your progress over at SSM with a real interest and I gotta say that these photos just blow my mind. They are beautiful pictures, and those domes are so spot on. Wonderful work!

Scott,
SJM from SSM

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks! :wave:

Yeah, it has a better feel to it now with those domes.

I've been plugging away on the secondary hull. First finishing the fantail area (including constructing the wall forward of the doors. This is how that had progressed...

The included image is the best image of the doors I have from after the series modifications and it seems to show that lines had been drawn on the doors. Other than that image, all the other good shots of that area I've collected are after the doors were lost (and therefore have little information to offer).

I continued on with extending the hull forward, but this time I built in a mounting for a stand (something which is missing from my first model). I cut a hole in the styrene that I was going to use for the lower extension and glued a segment of a pen to the opening, and once secure, glued that to the secondary hull.

I then incrementally extended the inner packing forward around the segment of pen (making the anchor point solid). I did test fits of the piece to see how they were fitting together.

And then finished gluing all the pieces of the extension to the hull.

I've added on the front edge, but haven't taken any images yet.

1 - 20 of 160 Posts