Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The awesome Porsche powered TWR WSC-95 (Tom Walkinshaw Racing) of Joest Racing. Before Reinhold Joest teamed with Audi and the earth shattering R-8, R10 and now R15, they were running Porsche power!

Numbered by Porsche as the 935/76 F6, these cars made quite an impact the two years they ran Le Mans. In 1996, Car #7 won (different livery), while #8 (shown in photos) sat on the poll but retired with electronic woes.

In 1997, the #7 won again (as seen here). I have not researched to see what happened to chassie #2 (car number 8) but it did not run Le Mans in '97. Maybe one of you stat nuts will have that info handy.

These replicas were made by TROFEU, a company I must admit that I had never heard of until I bid on these two cars. I can assure you, they are not my last from this Portugese brand. I love the detail on both. A lot of history for little money, purchased the set from Ebay for $22 delivered! Yea me!!!

Hope you guy enjoy!

Ward

·
Registered
920 Posts
Those look great Ward - Trofeu have made a good few competition cars over the years, although they tend to concentrate on rally cars. Having said that, they have released several Porsche 936s in various guises.

As for the real cars, chassis #1, was actually based on the tub of a 1991 Jaguar XJR-14 (also TWR run) - the most obvious difference is that the roof was removed & instead of a Cosworth V8, a Porsche Flat-6 turbo was installed.

As you say, only chassis #1 was entered at Le Mans in 1997, taking a second consecutive win (also done by Ford GT40 "1075" in 1968/69 & Porsche 956 "117" in 1984/85).

Both chassis #1 & #2 were subsequently modified & rebuilt - they were also effectively taken over by Porsche themselves & redesignated as Porsche LMP1-98s. In this guise both cars competed at LM in 1998 - sadly both DNF.

Steve

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Steve, super research my friend! I was aware that the tub was even the same as the Mazda MXR-01 built by TWR of that period as well as the Jaguar but I did not know these were the bases for the LMP1-98's.

Oh, I knew they look was somewhat the same silhouette, but I assumed they were a in house build. Thank you for the history. That is truly one of the joys of this scale for me. The rich history each of cars represents if one wishes to do a little digging.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts