Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Don't do that to me! I was expecting to see GM transit buses - not Pacers! :p

Anyway, they look nice. I have a couple of JL versions but not Motormax.

·
Registered
13,598 Posts
I once owned a bright red bare-bones stripper '76 Pacer that my mom bought new in late 1977. 3-on-the-tree, NO power steering, brakes, windows, locks, etc, NO air conditioning, NO tinted glass. It only had a radio because my dad had the dealer put an AM/FM mono unit in it so mom would have something to listen to.They gave it to us because we were between second cars at the time and the dealer they went to trade it in at in mid-1985 only offered them $50 for it with only 60K on the clock (and a slightly slipping clutch). The first weekend, I gave it a thorough detailing and tinted the windows. I then proceeded to drive it for 3 years, then sold it to a co-worker for $750!

When I saw this car on the pegs, I grabbed the first one I saw... I should have gotten several, including one for my mom. I'm amazed at how well they nailed the proportions of the body on a low-buck diecast! Of course, being a '76, mine had the 'flat' hood (which looks a ton better than the bulged one on the 1978-80 cars), but Pacers in scale are so uncommon that I grab every one I can find. Mine also had a tan interior, which looked a lot better than the black in this diecast in my opinion... at least after I scrubbed it out!

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
3-on-the-tree, NO power steering, brakes, windows, locks, etc, NO air conditioning, NO tinted glass. It only had a radio because my dad had the dealer put an AM/FM mono unit in it so mom would have something to listen to.
Boy whatever happened to the days of basic transportation? When you could buy a new car and a new house, and not have to mortgage both? When you could buy a really cheap new car, that was cheap because it had nothing in it! Buyers are pretty spoiled today, with even the most basic car having power windows and steering, heating and air-conditioning, am/fm stereo, and even sat nav as an option because buyers expect it. So there really is no truly cheap new car anymore. I think the Yugo put the nail in the casket on that one, or maybe the Ford Fiesta. Of course, new cars have to meet so many standards today, and with the mandatory equipment and features, they would probably still be expensive even if they ripped out the luxuries. You really have to know how to simplify in life, because society won't do it for you, that's for sure. It'll drain you dry if you let it. :drunk:

Here's to stripped out Pacers! :p

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Motormax is the only one that really got the tall roofline right. I wish they would've made a '75/'76 with the cleaner grille. My favorite was the six-cylinder wagon version though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts