Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any tips that would help tune and epic d5 based 19T motor would be great. Should I be using stand up brushes or p94? What should the timing be set at to get the most power out of it? What brush and spring combo have been working? I dont have a dyno so I dont know where to start. I run on a long carpet oval. thanx

·
Premium Member
3,567 Posts
Is it for ARCOR racing? If you are running ARCOR then you have to use a standup brush. This is where I start:

ARCOR 36 degrees
4383 or Putnam X
Purple or Trinity Silver springs

19 turn Open 36 degrees
Trinity 4379 high silver P-94 brush
Trinity Silver springs (negative spring tweeked)

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
2 .020 shims pinion side of motor,1 .020.shim endbell side,no phenolic washer,Lightspeed 4000 or putnam X serrated brush full face,orion 155d[red] spring negative side,orion 135d[silver] spring pos. side.Hook it to your t-30,if it will draw 10a or better in the first 15 secs. of break-in,it'll run!Don't break in any longer than that.This info was given to me at last yrs. ROAR oval nats,and it worked! We were using the orion brush at that time but the brush is no longer available ,and i have found that these 2 brushes work as well. Hope this helps!

·
HobbyTalk Pro
2,787 Posts
The "ROAR" version of the Putnam Propulsion 19 Turn motor Arnie Fie used to TQ/WIN the ROAR Carpet Oval Nats is now available.
Brett did have some impressive HP in the main, but tough to compare against Arnie...he was in a class by himself.

J

·
0 Posts
The Jet said:
I had, what was called, the "MOST RIP" at the ROAR Nats this year...Interested???

Later, Bret
Hey Bret.....can you share how you got the " RIP "..Pls pls....Thanx

J

·
0 Posts
Todd Putnam said:
The "ROAR" version of the Putnam Propulsion 19 Turn motor Arnie Fie used to TQ/WIN the ROAR Carpet Oval Nats is now available.
Brett did have some impressive HP in the main, but tough to compare against Arnie...he was in a class by himself.
Todd ....do you think Dale at AAA will have them for the ARCOR summer nats on july 3-4 ?

·
Bret Lund
2,684 Posts
JEEP
Pretty simple stuff, I ran an EPIC 2 mag can, with a Putnam ARCOR arm @ .280, Putnam X-94's full size, purple springs, and 36 degrees of timing. The catch is, for some reason this motor ran real fast with a slot in the Negative brush, I have no explanation for it, it's just the way it was.

Todd,
Even though we talked about it the other night, I still smile when I run that race through my mind :thumbsup: It had to be the most fun I've ever had racing,
"thank you for your support" ;)

Later, Bret

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
jeepnyy, remember ARCOR rules and ROAR rules now differ. For an Arcor race you need a D-5 set-up with standup brushes. The ROAR version you can use a 4-mag can and P-94 brushes.

·
HobbyTalk Pro
2,787 Posts
Jeepnyy: "X Compound" Brushes, Purple springs, vertical slot(s) work well. We've had the most luck with the 19 turns timed at 24 degrees, (2 tabs) and gearing up. You'll have to increase your roll-out about 30 points on smaller tracks, (120'-150' +/-) and about 55-60 points on larger tracks, (250' +) when you go from 36 degrees to 24 degrees.
Good Luck!
Todd Putnam
Putnam Propulsion

·
Banned
128 Posts
When you say 2 tabs gets you down to 24 degress is that 2 tabs from the left or the right. I guess what I am trying to ask is If i have it turned all the way up to 36 degress do i go down to marks to get to 24?

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
tourque56 each notch on the endbell represents 12 degrees of timing. 0, 12, 24, 36, your at 36 degrees so you would turn it one notch back to get 24 degrees. normally racers will talk from zero timming so one notch or tab is 12 degrees two tabs 24 degrees and so forth.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts