Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While a bit large for my storage space (though I can make room, can't I?) I did look around, and found a photo showing the Trumpeter Seawolf kit:

http://cybermodeler.com/hobby/reviews/novesti/novesti09.shtml

Positively beautiful. My only complaint is that it doesn't give you the option of expanding the length for SSN-23. Regardless, pretty impressive at 29" long. The only models I have that are bigger are my XB-70 and 1/144 Saturn V.

Oh, well. I can wait for the DML 1/350 Seawolf, anyway.

·
Registered
279 Posts
A 1/12 scale Gemini Cap. Whoa that will look good. I have several clients who've asked for bigger model of the early space program.

Jake

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Leet said:
My only complaint is that it doesn't give you the option of expanding the length for SSN-23. Regardless, pretty impressive at 29" long.

Oh, well. I can wait for the DML 1/350 Seawolf, anyway.
Submarine models are the reason I started scratchbuilding. At one time, I was an extremely serious sub modeler. I even have a pair of big RC subs (90" long DALLAS, 63" long SCORPION). In fact, the DeBoer website actually uses a picture of my DALLAS on their 688 model web page. Over the years, I've drifted away from subs so I'm not very up-to-date.

In addition to RC, I also built some display subs (still sitting prominently in my living room). When I wanted to get some display models of modern American subs many years ago. There was NOTHING acceptable. The DML 1/350 stuff just doesn't cut it. In the case of a 688, you were looking at a sub model barely 12" long and 1" in diameter. That has all the visual impact of an empty roll of paper towel.

Models in a the more popular 1/192 scale were available in resin. But I wasn't about to pay $100.00 for a resin tube!

So that's when I bought the lathe and started building my own models. The VERY FIRST thing I built on the lathe was the hull for a 1/192 scale PERMIT. It turned out very nicely and, like I said, it's still on display.

The next model I built was a 1/192 LOS ANGELES. That makes it a very nice 22.5" long with a 2" diameter.

It's one thing to pay a model manufacturer for a complex shape like a Type VII U-Boat or a Gato/Balao. But hell will freeze over before I spend money on a plastic tube (which constitutes 90% of the structure of a modern U.S. sub). These shapes are designed to be built on a lathe and I'll bet you the price of that Trumpeter Seawolf will damn near cover the cost of a basic 37" lathe. Furthermore, with a lathe, length becomes a non issue. If you want the longer SSN-23, you turn a longer piece or you just turn a plastic pipe as an extension.

In the long run, a lathe is a VERY CHEAP investment for this kind of work. People will balk at the up front cost but will gladly spend twice as much over a 5 year period building kits. I spent a few hundred bucks on my lathe. I've used it to build a LOS ANGELES, PERMIT, ORBIT JET, MARS-1, 2 different designs of ROCKET PLANES, and a few other items which would have totaled about $1000.00 worth of models in resin or styrene.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Dave Hussey said:
Brent will be naggin' ya to buy an airbrush any day now.

Huzz
Probably not necessary. 90% of all model builders own an airbrush. It's a standard tool like an Xacto knife or sandpaper. So I assume that people posting here have been airbrushing for years.

Of course, there are exceptions :).

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
jbgroby said:
A 1/12 scale Gemini Cap. Whoa that will look good. I have several clients who've asked for bigger model of the early space program.
Jake,
Squadron is already advertising the capsule. Captain Cardboard at Atomic City sold the rights to MRC and we've been waiting anxiously for it's release. Should be a beauty!

http://www.squadron.com/ItemDetails.asp?item=MHA62001

Rob

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't have an airbrush, and I have an irrational fear of screwing up if I use one (cleaning, as well). All of my painting is done with spray or by hand (sometimes with spongebrush).

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Leet said:
Don't have an airbrush, and I have an irrational fear of screwing up if I use one (cleaning, as well).
Sheesh...when did modeling become so gay?

Fear of screwing up? Well, at least I agree with the irrational part. Of all the things I fear in life, the handling of inanimate objects is not one of them. For the life of me, I just don't understand this. I got an airbrush when I was 12 years old and I never screwed up anything. What is this hidden part of airbrushing that scares people?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Who said anything about it being gay? :confused: I've never worked with an airbrush, since I don't have the funds nor the patience involved in cleaning it every time I use it (I use acrylic paints for the most part, anyway). I do, however, prefer to drybrush details, which I've experimented on with a couple of shuttle models.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
"Gay" is my politicaly incorrect way of saying meek.

I don't know what's going on but I keep hearing people on modeling forums saying that they are "scared" of things. They are scared of vacuforms; they are scared of airbrushing; they are scared this, that and the other thing. They are scared of trying anything new.

It's beyond my comprehension that people can find anything in this hobby that scares them. I've been in a plane crash. I've been shot at. I've had cancer. Trust me, there is nothing scary about airbrushing (or anything else in modeling).

Of course you've never worked with an airbrush...because you never worked with an airbrush. I won first prize in PL sponsored online contest several years ago using a model painted with a $20.00 airbrush with canned air. My 25 year old compressor broke down on a Sunday and I had to buy a cheap AB at the shopping mall to finish the kit before the deadline.

·
Starship Class
11,940 Posts
Great advice, Brent! Thanks (I'm serious here) for the slap in the face! We needed that!

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I don't think I said I was scared of vac-formed kits. I think I said that I had understood (incorrectly) that they were very hard to build. That combined with their relatively high cost caused me to conclude that I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a kit that was beyond my skill set or that I would not do a good job on.

In light of recent information though, I've revised my opinion of vac formed kits to view them as just more expensive than mass produced kits.

But you are right - there is nothing "scary" about anything in modelling.

And why are people shooting at you?

Huzz

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Dave Hussey said:
And why are people shooting at you?

Huzz
Nobody ever quite figured that out!

About 25 years ago, I was in the back yard when I heard a high pitched whistle sound. It zipped past my ear and a bullet hit the foundation of the house about 6 feet behind me.

The police ASSUME it was most likely the careless discharge of firearm from persons unknown. The general concensus was that nobody disliked me ENOUGH to deliberately take a shot at me (of course, things have changed in the last few years).

But I swear to you that the old story is true. As God is my witness, I HEARD that bullet coming at me!

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Wow Brent, that is scary!

Airbrush update!

Back in April I went out and bought that compressor kit you recommended, the one with the brad nailer. I had planned to get the airbrush in a week or two (the Badger 155). Then there was a strike at my company and I spent the next 5 miserable months (all summer) working tons of overtime. There was no time for much in the way of modelling by the time I got home at night. If I got a free minute, it was spent outside because this is Canada where summers are short and winters are not! When the strike ended and I finally had a moment to call and order the airbrush, both the local shop and the online company that I had planned to buy it from were out of stock! Just my luck!

Anyway I will definitely be getting it as soon as they are back in stock.

Huzz

·
Registered
57 Posts
hi all,
I'm a newbie here. Great to meet you all.
Regarding the 1/144 Seawolf. I wonder, does the kit accurately describe the real boat? I mean, I have one kit from Hong Kong entitled Seawolf SSN-21, but it turns out to be a DML LA class boat but given a pump jet shroud and the Seawolf kind of 'sail'. The boat was an inaccurate model in the dimension and detail.

I really hope the 1/144 Seawolf from Trumpeter will be quite accurate (can't wait to have it though LOL).

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's definitely different from the DML kits (and at a much larger scale, too). Proportions look good, along with the details (curved fairwater, pumpjet propulsor, aft "shark" fins, and the hull fittings aft of where the fairwater attaches). There's also a lack of VLS tubes, so it looks good (don't know why they weren't installed on the Seawolf class boats).

The only feature I can't see is the lower hull piece. I'm sure it has all six blisters as per the real boat, and likely all eight torpedo tube doors.

·
Registered
57 Posts
agree with that :) - this is a larger model (too large I think LOL).
I've heard a rumor, that the tommahawk will be launched from the torpedo tubes, so no VLS needed.

do you have Trumpeter 1/144 Kilo class? I got one but haven't build it. She looks good and detailed.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've seen the Kilo class kit. Looks pretty nice, with good conning tower detail. And although I'm not a diesel guy, I wouldn't mind having a kit (there's also a 1:400 version put out by Maquette, which doesn't look bad).

You're correct about the lack of VLS on Seawolf. Likely it's due to the increased weapons capacity in the torpedo room. She has eight tubes, and can carry fifty weapons, so I suppose it's a good trade-off.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I can give some review of the Kilo kit ;D - the hull basically can be build as waterline and full hull. The unique things about the lower hull, is a two part (port and starboard, i/o upper and lower hull).

It has 2 set of props, for older and latest flight.

I'm also not prefer diesel, but the kit was so tempting to be bought LOL.
Yes, I'm aware of the Maquette 1/400 Kilo and also Alfa. I'm planning to buy it but maybe later.

Too bad the plastic model didn't have Akula SSN, Delta IV, Sierra, Charlie class.

Leet, from all the US Navy Subs, do you have a favourable one? Me, I vote for Seawolf :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Speaking of different variations, it doesn't look like the Trumpeter Seawolf has any means of stretching the hull to match SSN-23. I'm thinking about doing this to my 1:350 version, though it would require some effort.

I have no particular favorite sub. On the Russian side, there's the Akula, Antey and Bars class boats, while the Americans have the Ohio, 688 and Seawolf classes. Virginia doesn't look too bad, either, and I don't mind that she's more of a littoral warfare ship than her blue-water cousins.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts