Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 1482 Posts

· Registered
14,351 Posts
Anyone recall the Dobberton Surface Orbiter from 1993? Built from a 50's era Heil dairy tank, the husband and wife team who built it managed to travel to 28 countries by land and sea under the Orbiter's own power before their travel money ran out.

And for all you fellow van fans out there, the ultimate off-road shaggin' wagon! :dude:

· Registered
19,909 Posts
Man, that amphibious milk tank mamma-jamma is off the freakn chain, yo!!!!!!
Whoever construced that is a mechanical genious. Do you know what it's powered by FF! ? Just brilliant!!!
The windshield looks cool as hell. Makes me wonder what the cockpit looks like.

The gray 4Buyfour is perfect looking.

The 2-faced(LOL) Chevy is pretty wild too!

· Registered
14,351 Posts
Man, that amphibious milk tank mamma-jamma is off the freakn chain, yo!!!!!!
Whoever construced that is a mechanical genious. Do you know what it's powered by FF! ? Just brilliant!!!
The windshield looks cool as hell. Makes me wonder what the cockpit looks like.
Power comes from a 6.5 liter Detroit Diesel V8, and here is the cockpit. And a little vid to tell you more about this beast. Info and pics are strangely a little hard to come by. But I remember reading about it in a magazine in the 90's.

· Registered
19,909 Posts
Daaaaamn! That guys got serious guts! That would seriously freak me out going in an open ocean with that.
Looks like it's pointy nose would make it dive under in a heartbeat, but it's obviously safe.
It really is a mechanical marvel and it truly blows me away.
I wonder why it needs a special underwater viewing window just for the drive shaft?
Thanx fer the vid.

· Registered
13,669 Posts
Rick Dobbertin, the guy who built the "Surface Orbiter", IS a mechanical genius! He built what was considered to be, in many circles, the all-time BEST example of a Pro-Street car with his famous Pontiac J2000. As I recall, it was voted Hot Rod magazine's "Hot Rod of the Year" some time in the mid-1980's.

It must be pretty cool to have a major model manufacturer produce a scale model of a car you built yourself!

Here's a link to his website: http://www.dobbertinhydrocar.com/Home.htm

· Registered
19,909 Posts
Thats' cool you knew about him, Jim.

I'll never in a million years be as mechanically gifted as he is, and at the risk of disrespecting him, his taste in paint jods is atrocious!
It sufferes from that '90s ugly as sin graffix disease. Hot Rod was full of paint diseases like this all throughout the '90s.
Otherwize, the car looks immpecable.

· Premium Member
2,145 Posts
The car also put him in bankruptcy to build.
Cost him a successful speed shop to build.
It's also my understanding the car was never drove on the street:rolleyes:
Wasn't the only out there car Dobberton built,he also had a twin turbo and supercharged pro street toy before the J2000.
The man has talent:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 1482 Posts