Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, When I turn the key I get gas blowing out of the top of the carb (with air filter removed) and then it acts like the motor is locked up (starter just stalls). If I manually turn the flywheel back it will crank until the stop point(locked up point). Could this be a flywheel key partially sheared? This is a 31X7070777E2.

Oh, the belts underneath are off and the mowing deck is off. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
the float in the carb is stuck/damaged,
may have half filled the cylinder with gas, stopping the engine from turning over.

remove spark plug and see if the engine will turn 2 complete cycles.
get the carb cleaned/serviced.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks chuck, that worked, It started but still puking gas from the carb. I'll take that carb off tomorrow and try and clean it. How would you check the float? I took the bowl off and cleaned it, and pushing the float up would stop the gas. It didn't feel heavy. Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Take the float out and shake it. If you hear sloshing in the float, it has a hole in it. Check and make sure your needle and seat are good. If the float is adjustable make sure it is set to the proper height.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hi again guys, I was finally able to check the float and it's Ok. I found the excess gas is coming from the black tube going to the carb. does this mean the engine is shot?

·
Registered
128 Posts
It sounds like your crankcase is full of gas.If you pull the dipstick and it is way over full of oil you should change the oil after you fix the carb.
If you haven't ran the engine much with this problem it probably only gave the inside of your engine a good cleaning.Would'nt recommend this as an engine cleaning method though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts