Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Further to Stutz's TR6 thread, here are a couple more TR6s. The white one with the hardtop is the Detail version - the Minichamps is in British Racing Green. To be strictly correct, the MC is just dark green in colour, in motor racing terms, any shade of green, was acceptable for British entered cars.

To my eyes, the body of the car is too deep, making the car too tall overall - the MC sits just right.

:wave:

Steve

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Always did like the TR series, from the "2" up to the "6." The "7" was a piece of crap from hell! When I had my shop people would stop by and ask if I'd go look at a "7" and see if was worth buying it. I'd always tell 'em "Nope! Don't have to look. It ain't worth puttin' a gallon of gas in it for a test drive. To an individual, they'd come back several weeks later wanting me to fix something that had blown up (head gaskets were the worst) or repair a tranny, R&R a clutch or any one of a number of other trouble spots common to "The shape of things to come."

My partner was a "TR man" to the core. He had a "3A" that had over 300,000 miles on it. I always liked the "6", 4A and 4. Never saw a real "5" I understand they were a fuel injected TR4A. I liked the way it ran. But at best the "6" was a rehash of the "4" that was a rehash of the "3" that was a rehash of the "2."

The thing I found about the later Triumphs in general was the independent rear suspension was a bear to seperate and repair. The thrust washers on the cranks would wear excessively. But the most annoying and detrimental thing on all of the Spits as well as the 6 cylinder Standpart motors was; a screw would come out of the rear rocker pedestal. When that happened oil pressure would drop to zero on the top end of the motor and there went the rockers and shaft. I also preferred ANY SU over ANY Stromberg carb especially the autochoke types. Of course ALL British cars up to 1975 had those wonderful Lucar Connectors that tied the wires together. This was the reason Lucas was the "Father of the intermitant windshield wiper." Also why "Though Brittania ruled the waves they couldn't make a car that would go through a mud puddle. I always found that one of the true ironies of life that a country as damp as Brittian would have such sorry electrical systems on their autos. You know it had to be a constant source of trouble on the island.

Had I bought a TR-6 instead of my MG Midget (over 500,000 hard miles on that little sucker) I'd of probably never got into import car repair. Funny how little things turn one's life.

·
Registered
343 Posts
And the reason Brits drink warm beer is said to be Lucas Electrics. The TR-5 was TR-250 in the USA and it is best described as a TR-4 body with a six cylinder engine. The TR-6 got the same six cylinder engine but "refreshed" body styling. TR-5 models were available from Norev (in plastic) and later the dies were used by Eligor to release a TR-5 model. Compared to my experience with two TR-3s ('58 and '59), I remember the TR-6 as being big, refined and luxurious.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
A Bosch memo floated around company for a time stating that, Lucas engineers thought they had come across an important find in electronic engineering. They believed that electric parts failed after all the smoke leaked out. :freak: :cool: :thumbsup:

Ranchero...Yeah! TR-250...Don't know what I'zzz thinkin'. For some reason I recall it having a mechanical fuel injection system.....Haven't looked it up lately........May have been a dreeeeeam. :eek:

I loved the "2" as far as it being a true example of a sports car. No door handles, side curtains, erector set top, hot in summer cold in winter and leaked like a sive. The "6" was as refined as a diamond is to coal in comparisson. Many of the "6's" came to customers in the US with freekin AC! I hated those blasted things. PUT THE FREEKIN TOP DOWN OR BUY A COUPE!!!! But even the "2" couldn't be actually termed as a "true roadster" as the windshiled was fixed. It could be fairly easilly R&R however. Depending on the last import date either the MGTF or the Austin Healey 100/4 were the last "true 'production' roadsters" to be imported from England.

And yeah the BRG one is a lot better example if you have the two to compare.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ClearHooter said:
A Bosch memo floated around company for a time stating that, Lucas engineers thought they had come across an important find in electronic engineering. They believed that electric parts failed after all the smoke leaked out. :freak: :cool: :thumbsup:

Ranchero...Yeah! TR-250...Don't know what I'zzz thinkin'. For some reason I recall it having a mechanical fuel injection system.....Haven't looked it up lately........May have been a dreeeeeam. :eek:

The UK market TR5 & TR6 were fuel injected - 150 bhp, as opposed to US spec cars with carbs & 105 bhp.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts