Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
taking my daughter to a cheerleading competition in Harrisburg tomorrow, and since there's a Harbor Freight 10 minutes from there, I'm making a stop. I'm gonna get that set of jeweler's files for sure. Any other recommendations for must-have tools while I'm there?

--rick

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ah so. and they just opened a Hobby Lobby here, too...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Rick, I'm in Hershey/Hummelstown. Where are you located? I know the HF you are going to. They have a lot of good stuff in there. While you're there, you may want to pick up an US cleaner - they have good ones for around $35 bucks. STL

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Steve, I'm in Chambersburg, a little over an hour south of Harrisburg on I-81. just to hijack my own thread... do you know of any Tjet racing in the Harrisburg area?

i will put ultrasonic cleaners on the list of stuff to look at... thanks!

--rick

·
Robot Elder
507 Posts
add Hemostats to the list.... great for holding small parts... and bodies etc.. straight and curved tips Paint brush sets are cheap...but useable.
The magnifying lamp.. is a great asset.,,, mine has a base it sits on..like a regular lamp got it at HT.
Helping hands set.. adjustable.. with alligator clips for holding parts. some have magnifying lenses on them as well...
I go nuts when I get to a HT store..

CJ

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Absolutely! All of the above. Especially the helping hands. Here's a few more fairly inexpensive items that I find to be needful things.

1. A half dozen extra gator clips are nice to have for any number of silly reasons....cheapos are fine!

2. A Jewler's saw or the correct xacto handle to hold their saw type blades.

3. An xtra xacto knife handle so ya dont have to switch between yer favorite blades all the time.

4. Dental pics....just ask nicely at yer next check up.

5. A Jacobs style/quick release chuck for your dremel if ya dont have one.

6. Beef up yer dremel bit and doo-dad collection. I have several of the same mandrels, again so I dont have to change between cutting discs, buffing pads, sanding drums or what ever! For a coupla extra bucks productivity is only marginally interrupted when it's time to chuck up and go to work.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Whoa, easy there... my daughter is 12... :freak:

anyway, here's what i got:

Those all-important files, needle nose pliers (what did you call them, Bill? noodle knees? lol), some little picks, alligator clips, a hemostat, and one of those extra hands dealies (that was only $2.99, wow!). total was just under 20 bucks. It' wasn't everything you all suggested, but knowing I'd have to tell the boss how much I spent when I got home, I figgered this was a pretty good start...

--rick

·
LED Burner Outer
11,710 Posts
Exactly!! Making $20.00 disappear for the discretionary fund is always easy. Once you hit the $22.00 mark, The Accounting Dept. wants receipts!! :lol: I need a new set of files. Half of mine have fallen prey to the griffles... I guess they're shaping their claws!! :freak:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Steve, I'm in Chambersburg, a little over an hour south of Harrisburg on I-81. just to hijack my own thread... do you know of any Tjet racing in the Harrisburg area?

i will put ultrasonic cleaners on the list of stuff to look at... thanks!

--rick
Hey Rick, I know Chambersburg well. But, it only takes me 45 minutes to get there from Harrisburg :) Am I driving too fast? LOL. Yes, there is racing in Harrisburg - Chuck Sheaffer and his son Derek have a cool TKO track. They are in Lemoyne/Wormleysburg. Check out echorr.com website and you can see Chuck's track on there. STL

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Oh jeez! Jeeper's right...

A glaring omission from the stocking stuffer list. Pickem up on your next trip after you get yer allowance. :thumbsup:

Dont forget to get a good pin vise to drive them. They are not all created equally AND there's nothing more annoying than hand drilling tiny holes with a cockeyed pinvise. :freak:

Noodle knees pliers! Yes of course. Something a colleague of mine mumbled one hungover monday morning. Still makes me giggle.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What's a hemostat??
It looks kinda like a pair of scissors at the handle end, and like a pair of needle nose pliers at the business end, and it locks closed to clamp things together. It's actually a medical tool that we've found other uses for...

--rick

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
What's a hemostat??
Hemos are a surgical clamp...great for clamping or holding thin stuff...becoming near useless as thickness increases over a few 32nds.

Although I have a coupla pair of hemos; I find a small pair of noodle knees "vicegrips" to be more useful/versatile because they are adjustable.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts