Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen the load of crap Trinity article in the new car action mag? It is titled "urban myths" about brushless motors. They are obviously scared to death of the approaching take-over of brushless motors. This is the first advertisement ive seen in RC mags thats only purpose is to slam another product, and not offer anything better. About 75% of the people at my local track have switched to brushless. And we have had the closest, fastest racing ever! This article lied about the cost, the maintenance, torque/rpm, and pretty much everything else mentioned.

Well, thats my 2 cents, Just wanted to see if anyone else was angered by this article as much as I was. :mad: ....

·
Registered
807 Posts
I think there has already been a thread on this, but I do agree with you. Trinity needs to get with the times and actually make something innovative instead of making a new "D" series motor what seems like every 8 months. Sure, they've done some innovative stuff in the past, but nothing recent really stands out to me.

·
Registered
289 Posts
If anyone wants to know what Infrontracing is talking about, this comes from the front page of Trinity's site.

Brushless Motor System Myths

These points below are in reaction to ads that have been run which we feel could be misleading to the customer about Brushless Motor Systems. In our opinion, this is a technology that is not all it is advertised to be.

Only Need One Motor: False, you will still need several motors for each application you decide to use them in.

Motors are Indestructible: False, Brushless motors can still be susceptible to shorts due to faulty winding, debris entering the motor and heat.

Torque and RPM are the same as brushed: False, you will need to give up one for the other. That is another reason why you need more then one brushless motor.

No Maintenance: False, cleaning, bearing replacement and magnet zapping will still be needed for top performance. Also, any damage to the motor can may cause the motor to fail.

Brushless will take the battery war out of play: False, Batteries will play a bigger part since brushless systems depend on high voltage, amps and super low internal resistance to operate as a race motor. Bottom line... you will still need to have quality batteries.

Some say the Speed Control can be programmed to a spec level and everyone will be the same: False, again at this point batteries will make a huge difference. Good quality packs will be essential. In the end, a " Team Driver" will still have the advantage due to speed controller programming knowledge, access to unreleased technology and the ability to jump the regulator that restricts the amp flow. It is much easier to just tech a motor.

Brushless Performance: There will still be better motors than others due to manufacturing tolerances. Remember the price on a brushless motor when you have to replace it because it does not perform as claimed. Since there is no easy way to maintain and keep a brushless motor up to original spec (i.e. rebuild) it may be necessary to purchase new motors often at a very high price to keep up with your neighbor or racing rival.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Trinity's claims may not be complete lies, but it seems like they exaggerate a bit.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
trinity

Dont get me wrong, Trinity has made some great stuff and I have bought all of it. Trinity stuff is the only way to go if you are running stock. But this article is just making him look like a fool. And im glad other people are noticing. Brushless motors are like a drug, you try it once and you are addicted. (not that i would know about drugs) lol

·
Registered
776 Posts
Trinity will bad mouth the brushless motor systems until Ernie's workshop elves make one of their own.

I'm sure once the Trinity camp releases the "Monster Brushless" system, they'll say you just gotta have one to win. They'll be the greatest thing since tire warmers.

Still, you have to give it to Ernie. The guy's driving a Mercedes while we race toy cars.

PanMan

·
Registered
128 Posts
Brushless motors

Better yet Trinity will be lobbying the public and ROAR to make them legal for stock and mod when they have there own stuff to sell... R/C version of DAMAGE CONTROL! I dont own one yet but i love the concept and theory,seen em run and they look good!

·
Registered
289 Posts
The thing that gets me about those points though, is that they all fall under the "well duh!!!" catagory.

They want it to look like buying a brushless is worse than buying brushed, but all those points are just common sense.

"Only Need One Motor: False, you will still need several motors for each application you decide to use them in.
~ Again....DUH! No, I'm thinking my motor will magically move itself from my truck to my buggy.

"Motors are Indestructible: False, Brushless motors can still be susceptible to shorts due to faulty winding, debris entering the motor and heat."
~Hmm, well I really thought if one had accidentally been made poorly, it would work better! (extreme sarcasm). Not to mention, how is this worse than brushed motors that would have this still happen more often.

"Torque and RPM are the same as brushed: False, you will need to give up one for the other. That is another reason why you need more then one brushless motor."
~ Uh, I know I've said this before but....DUH!!! I think everyone knows, simple physics only allows for one or the other. Sigh....how stupid do they think we are?

"No Maintenance: False, cleaning, bearing replacement and magnet zapping will still be needed for top performance. Also, any damage to the motor can may cause the motor to fail."
~Well of course if you abuse ANYTHING, it will eventually go bad. I was thinking I could throw a few screws in there, throw the motor against the wall, and think it would still work......sigh...

"Brushless will take the battery war out of play: False, Batteries will play a bigger part since brushless systems depend on high voltage, amps and super low internal resistance to operate as a race motor. Bottom line... you will still need to have quality batteries."
~This one may be true, but I honestly have never heard anyone say that it would take batteries out of play.

"Some say the Speed Control can be programmed to a spec level and everyone will be the same: False, again at this point batteries will make a huge difference."
~No this is true, you can program the esc to a spec level. Batteries are a completely different issue.

I don't even own a brushless system, and honestly, don't care either way. I actually enjoy working on my motors and rebuilding them, so as long as they are more powerful, I will use them, but what Trinity is trying to imply is just stupid of them!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Brushless Myths

Notice that Trinity states no reason why brushless motors are not (for example) more powerful than brushed motors.

Someone who knows almost nothing could write those myths.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
In Trinitys add in RC Driver they state "Epic matching labels are printed direct from the matcher using the latest Competion Electronics/Epic 2.0 package for closer matching tolerances. Others use older 1.3/1.6 software printed through a label program which allows the user to manipulate the numbers or matchers which allow the same number tweeking." Well I guess when you only list the highest cell label on the outside of the box, then you don't have to manipulate the numbers. What a load! The big T at it's finest.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
My favorite is "No Maintenance: False, cleaning, bearing replacement and magnet zapping will still be needed for top performance. Also, any damage to the motor can may cause the motor to fail."

Like Ennjay says... DUH!!! The real meaning of no maintenance on them is no com truing or brush replacement. It's alot quicker to just spray out the motor and re-lube the bearings than to pull it apart do the com, change the brushes, etc....

How many times has anyone had to replace a bearing in a motor anyway?

·
Registered
313 Posts
gezer - i believe the label on the outside of trinity's matched cells is of the lowest numbered cell in the pack.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Trinity= Microsoft.

They are huge and they want to stay that way.

I want to know why they have waited so long to come out with their own brushless system instead of printing this drivel for the masses to soak up.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
What will be funny is how they will counteract these statements when they do come out with their own... Oh, ours is vastly superior to all previous Brushless systems and we solved all the problems we pointed out....... Please.(heavy sarcasm)

H

·
0 Posts
That's the way T has been all the time. When it came to motors they bad mouth the other motor companies or refused to sell to the small guys, then when batteries became the issue they posted information that was misleading. And now this.
Wait until they build a brushless system and their will make you believe no one else can build a better one than them.

This is my personal feelings over the years and how Trinity reacted to other companies being first or competing in the RC market with them. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
554 Posts
well to expand on thoughts that have been talked about.. i've been using "T" products for awhile (as most of us have) and i mean they are just trying to save their butt by bashing Novak, even if they have to lie, cheat, or steal to do it and stay on top of the R/C motor industry.. but they really shouldn't worry no brushless for stock racing yet..!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Stock

Actually there is a stock brushless now. It just became available a couple weeks ago. The owner of my local HS got one and tried it in his pan car. They will soon be available to buy just the motor, it will work with the sportsman speedo. Motor will sell for around $70 -$80.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts