Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
30,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tri-Ang is one version of the brand name used by the toy making company Lines Brothers of London, England from 1919 to 1971.

The Triang brand name is based on the 3 sided triangle and is considered clever marketing strategy representing the (3) founding brothers. But, their approach to market branding was slightly off key. Combined with their taking over and their founding of numerous new companies, a product might have as many as four different brand names on it. They also couldn't decide on how the brand name was supposed to be written. Although the spelling appeared to be consistent, advertisements used almost every combination of capitalisation: TRI-ANG, Tri-ang, and Tri-Ang, and the brothers had even initially presented the brand as "Triang Tois" (with an "i" instead of a "y"). Fortunantly, their customers didn't seem to mind.

Their "Spot On" diecast series was introducd in 1:42 scale from a new factory location in Castleereagh, Northern Ireland.

In the late 1950s or early 1960s, they were making a set of 1:64th scale plastic pull back friction cars.

In the 1960s, they made a 1:64 scale series called "Top Gear". Known castings are - a Buick Rivieria, Chevrolet Corvette, Ferrari 250 LM, Ford Thunderbird Jaguar XKE and an Oldmobile Toronado. All were issued in picture box packages with silver hubs and metal bases.

TRI-ANG also made a line of railway related vehicle lines from the late 1960s to 1980s. Called "Minic", these cars were made to go with their1:76 (British HO) railway sets

The "Minic Motorway" cars in 1:64 scale are motorized slot-cars made in the 1960's. They also made the 'Scalectric' 1/32 scale slot-cars.

In 2008, Norev reintroduced the Tri-Ang "Spot-On" name brand.

Sourced references - @pjedsel @Motorcade @69ch

https://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/6290018-post6.html
Encyclopedia of Small-Scale Diecast Motor Vehicle Manufacturers - Sahakangas, Foster & Weber (2006)
https://www.brightontoymuseum.co.uk/index/Category:Tri-ang

·
Administrator
30,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, not covered in the encyclopedia listings.

Remember that the original encyclopedia listings were written by Sahakangas and published at Tales of Toy Diecasts from 2000 to 2002 with the soft cover book printed in 2006. So anything that happened after that is the information we would like to see added here. And having read through the encyclopedia 6 to 7 times now in the past few months it is focused on American diecast history for the most part, but does have a great deal of China, Japan, UK, European and even a few Russian entrys - but it is far from comprehensive for any country.

Hornby is not even mentioned so they probably are larger than 3" and the encyclopedia is for small diecast vehicles.

So I can add the series names, but need a little more information on them as to scale if you known and to link them with Hornby? Do you have more detailed information or even a general ideal?

I am presuming railway related. Are they larger than 3' too? Probably not as 'mini'....

:lurk5:

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
'Hornby' is among the most well known manufacturers of model Train sets.
Tri-ang Minic cars were made to go with the railway sets. late 60's?-1980's? (Ho 1/76 scale).
Minic Motorway cars are motorized slot-cars from the 1960's (1/64 scale).
Tri-ang also made a set of 1/64th scale plastic friction cars (late 50's/early 60's?)
Also Tri-ang made 'Scalectric' 1/32 scale slot-cars, and Hornby make the latest 1/64th scale 'Micro-Scalectric' cars.

·
Administrator
30,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is a history thread on Hornby here. Once Hot Wheels was introduced the formerly included railway vehicle type castings for brands like Hornby, Corgi, Oxford, SIKU (IIRC) and others seems to be ignored in diecast history from that point forward - particularily when they started being made of plastic in the '50, '60 and '70s. Lionel made cars. I seem to remember Bachmann did or still does as well.

I am not providing a detailed history on slot car production - as we have a slot car board, but am making note if a brand did or does make slot cars as well. Often the slot car brands merged or overlapped ownership with many diecast car brands during their history. Tyco and Matchbox for instance. Slotless cars like Mattels Sizzlers and the Johnny Lightnings cable drive (in a slot) track sets are another example where an overlap occurs. A current day example would be Auto World and their slot car line.

Not to mention the RC type cars from Tomica, Maisto, etc.

It's a wavy line but a line we need to draw somewhere as a diecast board.....

:cheers2:

·
Administrator
30,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I havent linked Tri-Ang to Hornby yet. It is apparent to me that Tri-Ang ceased operations at some point in time. Did Hornby buy them out and then start making the nicro slot cars? Or were they making the micro scalextrix line at the same time?

IIRC there may already be a Tri-Ang association to them at Hornby (or another brand). I seem to remember Tri-Ang's name coming up elsewhere before. :cheers2:

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
In the 1960s, they made a 1:64 scale series called "Top Gear". Only (2) castings are known. A Ford Thunderbird and an Oldmobile Toronado. Both were issued in picture box packages with silver hubs and metal bases.

Top Gear made more than two models.

This Thunderbird was mine at one time, the other pictures were found online.

Olds Toronado

Ferrari 250 LM

Rivera

Corvette

Jaguar XKE

Eric

·
Administrator
30,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the additional Top Gear photos @69ch.

BTW - I am noticing that images with the pb watermark are out of focus today across the boards. Is your Ferrari image clear to you on your monitor (or did it not just finish loading on to mine)?

I was already wondering anyway if the (2) Top Gear diecasts were the same models as from their slot car line up without the motors. Now I wonder about the rest you show as well.

·
Administrator
30,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I am also noticing some - what looks like to be Chinese - lettering on the Jag box.....

And what they say or mean as to production or distribution?

·
Administrator
30,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The other Tri-Ang brand association I remembered was to Dinky (Meccano). And to another name included in the diecast encyclopedia, but not provided an entry listing - Lines Brothers. They actually show up in a lot of other listings - mostly as the buyers of other brand names at one point in time. One reference notes that Tri-Ang is their own toy line brand name, but the actual Tri-Ang entry doesnt even mention them?

Do you know more about them @Motorcade (or anyone actually)?

·
Administrator
30,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I also found this bus posted by @pjedsel back in 2017 with a Tri-Ang sticker. It looks to be a pull back as well. And does the advertisment suggest they may have also made pedal cars at one time? If you still have this one around pastor john can you take a base shot of it? :cheers2:

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
The Ferrari picture belongs to Kimmo posted in 2009, I simply attached his link here. It looks fine from the borrowed location
although is blurry from here for some reason

The Jag was recently on eBay from New Zealand and I got sniped at 225.00 shipped.

Eric

·
Administrator
30,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks then I am not imaging the blurry images everywhere! Looks like PB is messing with its customer base again. :toetap05:

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
The other Tri-Ang brand association I remembered was to Dinky (Meccano). And to another name included in the diecast encyclopedia, but not provided an entry listing - Lines Brothers. They actually show up in a lot of other listings - mostly as the buyers of other brand names at one point in time. One reference notes that Tri-Ang is their own toy line brand name, but the actual Tri-Ang entry doesnt even mention them?

Do you know more about them @Motorcade (or anyone actually)?

At one time they claim to be the biggest toy factory in the world.!

·
Administrator
30,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh boy! Another diecast resource site! My OCD is pegging the meter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

·
Administrator
30,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
At one time they claim to be the biggest toy factory in the world.!
Well probably in 1937 they were. ;)

The web site is super cool and very informative. I had another one of those Americanism moments when I read they had a football field in the middle of the complex. Then I realized a soccer field is even bigger in size still! :thumbsup:

The acquistion premise I developed from the diecast encyclopedia information certainly fits the history given there and now I can go back and close some of the Lines Brothers loops in other brand historys from this one source. :cheers2:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts