Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since CL isn't around anymore thought I might go ahead and post a few pics of my own effort at acccurizing the reissued AMT kit.
It's not 100% accurate to the drawings CL was working from (the same drawings I used) but I'm pretty happy with it:

I even added my own scratch-built fighter called a Talon.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
That looks very good Trek!! Let me ask, did you make the stand arm out of different diameter tubing? I really like that.

HAL9001-

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Great !
Truly a work of art Steve.:thumbsup:
-Jim

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I loved following your build before! and still love looking at the results.

Nice job!

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Great job on a mediocre model! I know I've always been disappointed with the model, but it's also the only easily affordable game in town, isn't it?? ;)

Loving the little fighter you did. Any close ups of it?

·
Registered
5,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That looks very good Trek!! Let me ask, did you make the stand arm out of different diameter tubing? I really like that.

HAL9001-
Thanks HAL. Yes, the original stand had an aluminum neck with two sizes of Evergreen tubing. I used plastic tubing since it was the only tubing I had in the right diameter to fit around the circumference of the black power plug cover. Unfortunatley the weight of the model (with all the brass and batteries) caused the plastic to crack and break off leaving the model dangling from its wires! :(
I fixed the problem by filing and sanding down the black plastic plug cover until I coudl slide a section of aluminum tubing over it and bond it with epoxy. The "new" neck is much stronger than before.

·
Registered
5,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great job on a mediocre model! I know I've always been disappointed with the model, but it's also the only easily affordable game in town, isn't it?? ;)

Loving the little fighter you did. Any close ups of it?
Yes. Here are a few more pics of the fighters. There are actually two-one in flight and one in the hangar bay (I should actually call it the launch bay to be more accurate) with it's wings folded :

Two talons:

In flight:

cont'd...

·
Registered
5,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
In the bay:

In progress pic giving you a feel for how tiny it is:

COMMANDER: Once fully obscured, we will turn suddenly back upon our adversary and he will feel the rake of our Talons.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Amazing work--I don't think I'd even attempt this with the AMT model; I'd rather work off something a lot closer to the actual shape, but I also wouldn't want to tackle a vacuform!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Looks amazing, great work! Hope this ship gets redone some day with many of the features you and CL have incorporated!

Tib

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Amazing work--I don't think I'd even attempt this with the AMT model; I'd rather work off something a lot closer to the actual shape, but I also wouldn't want to tackle a vacuform!
Like the SFSM one? Very accurate in shape, I hear. I have one, but haven't worked myself up to trying it yet.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Trek, I shooo wish you hadn't done what you did on this kit! :mad: Because you shooo made this kit look like crap (kit in it's original form)! :mad: :mad:

There, now I feel better....

Seriously though, I do have some questions. I went back and scanned over your original build posts and wondered how you rounded over the brass tubes to give them that 'grommet' look? I didn't read every page, like I said I scanned, so if you stated how I missed it. And, did you really have to putty around all the brass tube inserts (grommets)? If that's the case I don't see how you did that so well. That had to take a great numbers of hrs!

Yep, it sure would be hard to build the kit 'as is' now after seeing what you did with what all is wrong. I'm at the age and sooo many models to build I'm having to slow down on a lot of super detailing, but I do want to put more in my beloved Trek kits. If it just wasn't for loosing the windows on the rim correcting it that is something I would do though.

HAL9001-

·
Registered
5,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Seriously though, I do have some questions. I went back and scanned over your original build posts and wondered how you rounded over the brass tubes to give them that 'grommet' look? I didn't read every page, like I said I scanned, so if you stated how I missed it. And, did you really have to putty around all the brass tube inserts (grommets)? If that's the case I don't see how you did that so well. That had to take a great numbers of hrs!
HAL9001-
Here's gthe setup I used for making the square windows and round sensor port frames out of brass tubing...

On the right side of the above image you can see how I clamped my dremel flex shaft into a portable vice with a grinding stone inserted into the chuck. Taking a length of brass tubing I held it at about a 45 degree angle to the stone and ground the edge to a bevel. I did this for both the round and square frames. After that I placed the tubing into my mini cutoff saw in the box and cut off the beveled section to a length of about 3/16".
The box heped catch the pieces as they were flung off into space by the blade.
After I had all the pieces cut I went back to my other workbench and held each piece clamped in a hemostat while I filed off the burrs left by the saw with a needle file under my maginifier light.
All told I probably spent about 8 hours over 3 days on this process.

Here's a few WIP photos of the frames after gluing in place with CA:

The only puttying I did was around some of the square frames but usually the fit was so tight no puttying was needed.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I must have misread about having to putty around the brass tubes. Seems you did quite a consistant job on the beveling.

After looking at the pics you posted another question came to mind. Did you have some sort of gage to use to get such consistant exterior protrusion?

HAL9001-

1 - 20 of 25 Posts