Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the thing. I built quite a few Trek models way back, but then I stayed away for the longest time. Essentially I was skeptical and not impressed with most of what I saw.

The PL 1/1000 TOS E is what brought me back. Save for the forthcoming R2 1/350 holy grail and the previous 1/350 TMP refit the PL 1000 was the best thing I'd seen come along. The companion 1/1000 Klingon D7 was nice, but I was pissed with the bad neck assembly (did they ever fix that in subsequent releases?).

So now I'm asking opinions on the following:
- 1/1000 TMP refit (should be nice following the 1/1000 TOS E and Klingon D7)
- repop of the original AMT Klingon D7 (is it true this is actually quite accurate even from way back?)
- repop of the AMT Romulan BoP
- repop of the AMT Reliant
- repop of the AMT Defiant
- repop of the TNG E
- Bandai TMP refit (I've got one in the box that I never got around to putting together)

All opinions and feedback welcome.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I can only comment on a few things-

Did they fix the 1/1000 Klingon D-7 neck in later releases? No.
1/1000 Refit- Looks good in overall shapes but probably has some minor detail issues; no worse than anything that the 1/1000 TOS Enterprise kit has.
Repop of AMT Klingon D-7 - yes, it was considered accurate way back when; the new version is even more so.
Repop of Romulan BOP - Aside from the addition of proper nacelle domes and more comprehensive decals, it is still the LEAST accurate of the AMT Trek kits.

·
Banned
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can only comment on a few things-

Did they fix the 1/1000 Klingon D-7 neck in later releases? No.
1/1000 Refit- Looks good in overall shapes but probably has some minor detail issues; no worse than anything that the 1/1000 TOS Enterprise kit has.
Repop of AMT Klingon D-7 - yes, it was considered accurate way back when; the new version is even more so.
Repop of Romulan BOP - Aside from the addition of proper nacelle domes and more comprehensive decals, it is still the LEAST accurate of the AMT Trek kits.
Thanks. So, so far 1/1000 TMP refit and repop Klingon D7 are worthy.

·
Registered
722 Posts

They fixed the hull thickness issue, but from what I understand the rear impulse deck, while fixed to address the thickness change, still needs work.

- repop of the TNG E

Pretty much exactly the same, only clear plastic. Compared to the later releases originally, the panel lines are cleaner cast (not off-kilter like they could be).

- Bandai TMP refit

A decent desktop model, bu no means perfect, has light leaks, and generally decent.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Considering that the D-7 filiming model was built by AMT there are some who consider the AMT model kit to be accurate, as for the R2 repop R2 went and made some changes to the molds like the elimination of the grill detail on the leading edge of the main body and the smaller grill detail on top of the main body along with more accurate detailing on the forward end sides that the bridge sits on.
As for the Defiant the only release of it is the glow in the dark TOS AMT Enterprise, which is the exact same kit as the Enterprise herself, oh and it also has 3 Tholian web spinners now along with an expanded decal sheet which is the very same sheet that comes with the PL 1/1000 kit, only it has been made bigger for the AMT kit and it has names for all of the Connie class ships.

·
Banned
718 Posts
- 1/1000 TMP refit (should be nice following the 1/1000 TOS E and Klingon D7)
A very nice kit. I think it's very accurate, but I've heard claims that a few areas (ie, the B/C deck superstructure) are "out of proportion." It's a very lightweight kit... some areas are almost "eggshell" like... mainly re: the nacelles, and likely to help the kit resist gravitationally-based "sag".

Overall, a terrific kit. It does require some effort to get it to go together perfectly and be an ideal model... in large part due to the intent, much as with the TOS kit, to be able to fill two niches at once (casual builders and "dedicated" builders).

DEFINITELY worth picking up at least one. Also, a fantastic option for kitbashing... far superior to the other "kitbash" options out there, IMHO.
- repop of the original AMT Klingon D7 (is it true this is actually quite accurate even from way back?)
AMT took a "Planograph" to the original miniature... or rather, one of the two original miniatures (not the filming one, mind you). Both of the original miniatures were made at the same time, and had the same shape, but one had a few different details, not present on the one used to shoot... hence there were several features on the AMT kit which weren't there on the filming model. (For example, some long, skinny "grillwork" on the upper hull surfaces along the two "bends").

I've built two of these in my life... one as a kid, and one as an adult. I own one of the new repops but have not built it. A great kit, overall. The new re-release removes the "non-filming" details and fixes a few minor errors, but is largely consistent with the original model... as it should be. Definitely worth picking up, as well, but not dramatically different from the original kit.
- repop of the AMT Romulan BoP
As far as I'm concerned, this is a kit I have no interest in. I want an ACCURATE model of the Wah Chang "Romulan Bird of Prey." Mike McMaster, at one point, was granted access to Chang's model (which he evidently took with him when he left the studio), and did a FANTASTIC set of blueprints based upon that miniature. The overall configuration of the AMT kit is similar to the real filming model, in the same way that the overall configuration of the 1701-D is similar to that of the 1701. The same basic elements, but not the same proportions, arrangment, etc.

Might be nice for nostalgia purposes, but there's only so much you can do with such a horrible representation. If I were ever to build one of these, I'd only be able to "accept" it by pretending it's a different Romulan ship class, not the ship seen on-screen.

My opinion... take it for what it's worth.
repop of the AMT Reliant
I've given some consideration to buying one of these. I have the old "Lunar Models Reliant" conversion kit, which I take great pride in (building it wasn't trivial, after all!). I also have an unbuilt ERTL Reliant (I hate the massive errors which they made). Apparently, R2 did as well, so they seem to have fixed all of my major objections to the ERTL release. While my Lunar kit will remain on my shelves, this will eventually get built up as well, I'm certain.
- repop of the AMT Defiant
No idea. I have the ERTL Reliant, and it's a nice kit, but DAMN it's huge for the size of this ship. A big, clunky, shelf-space-consuming kit... on a par wit the "Death Star" model I also own.

I have no plans to ever finish building this one, frankly. I'd be much more inclined to accept a Reliant in scale with some other kits. It's a pretty accurate model, but the scale factor is just WRONG, as far as I'm concerned. Give me one which is about 10" long or so, with sharp detailing, and I'd be much, much more likely to buy it. (~10" is what I think would be "in scale" to the 1:350 Enterprise kits...)
- repop of the TNG E
This was my first "massively complicated" model. I matched the studio colors, but muted them down (for scaling purposes), lit it, sanded off all the gridlines and masked-painted the "aztec" pattern, etc, etc. I also put in neodymium magnets to hold the primary hull to the secondary hull, and to dock the captain's yacht.

There are some scale/proportion issues with the kit... but they're pretty trivial, overall.

If you never build the "D," by all means, go for it. At this point, I can't imagine ever building it again, though.
- Bandai TMP refit (I've got one in the box that I never got around to putting together)
An AWESOME kit. Do you have the version with the separate decal sheet (for naming) or the one with the markings pre-printed on the parts? I have both, but have only built the fully-pre-marked version.

It's a tough kit to build, in some ways... mainly because of fit issues, where a lot of friction is required to hold parts together. A ton of "finger pressure" is required to assemble some sections. The pre-painting is gorgeous, but you will end up with a few visible seams (especially around the perimeter of the primary hull).

If I ever build my second kit, I'll likely scrape down the various locating "snap features" a lot, and use adhesive.

The 1710 refit/A model is pretty easy to build, if you think it through before starting, and take your time... don't rush it. There's only one sequence you can follow, unless you modify the parts to glue it together... not a trivial undertaking.

It's one of three kits currently sitting in my living room (rather than my "models room") in fact... with the other two being Bandai's NX-01 and NCC-1701-E.

The lighting of this kit, or of any of the Bandai kits for that matter, is really nicely done and gorgeous. My Bandai 1701-E gets GASPS from people when I switch it on. It's a shame that Bandai never got around to doing the 1701-D, because that would replace the ERTL kit as the best Galaxy-class out there, I'm sure. The least impressive Bandai kit was the Voyager... mainly because of the windows, which need some significant "light-blocking" for the frames.

The real issue with the Bandai kits is that, for the most part, every "build" will be like every other build... it'll lack the degree of "personalization" that you get from a kit you scrape, putty, modify, glue, paint, decal, weather, etc. If you build it straight-from-the-box, yours will be indistinguishable from mine, in other words. (That's why I've never touched my second kit... because I have plans to make changes to it which will make it more uniquely "mine.")

·
Banned
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Sorry for the confusion. By Defiant I was referring to the DS9 Defiant, if it's even available.

Currently I have some kits that I picked up several years ago before R2 began reissuing them. I have a DS9 Runabout that I will probably never build, and so I'll give it to one of the local kids or the Goodwill or sell it at a yard sale. I've also got a K'tinga Battle Cruiser and a TMP Vulcan shuttle---were there any changes to the repops? The K'tinga might also be a giveaway since I'd rather have something in scale with the 1/1000 TMP refit. Ditto the Romulan BoP for that matter.

I watched Model Man's review of the Reliant repop and he has a big issue with the angle of the saucer edge as in it's barely there.

·
Banned
718 Posts
As for the Defiant the only release of it is the glow in the dark TOS AMT Enterprise, which is the exact same kit as the Enterprise herself, oh and it also has 3 Tholian web spinners now along with an expanded decal sheet which is the very same sheet that comes with the PL 1/1000 kit, only it has been made bigger for the AMT kit and it has names for all of the Connie class ships.
I think he meant the "Deep Space Nine" Defiant... right?

That is... THIS ship:

·
Banned
1,657 Posts

They fixed the hull thickness issue, but from what I understand the rear impulse deck, while fixed to address the thickness change, still needs work.

- repop of the TNG E

Pretty much exactly the same, only clear plastic. Compared to the later releases originally, the panel lines are cleaner cast (not off-kilter like they could be).

- Bandai TMP refit

A decent desktop model, bu no means perfect, has light leaks, and generally decent.
If you carefully glue the Bandai kit together instead of just snapping it together the light leaks virtually disappear. My biggest issue with it was the window segments on the rim of the saucer, there is no way to make the seams disappear without having to fill the gaps and repaint the rim. Most of the seams fall on natural panel lines and disappear.

·
Banned
3,969 Posts
Regarding the Klingon D-7, if you want a screen accurate version, get the repop. If you want one accurate to the intended finished design, get thee to eBay and track down an older version (pre-1986 anniversary version, they screwed up some things with that one). As always, be prepared to deal with some folks' overinflated estimation of the worth of the things.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Very plain, get the R2 release because it has all those aztecing decals if you're getting one at all. You probably wouldn't be happy with the previous releases. No windows and raised detail where it exists.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
R2 has yet to announce reissues of the following Star Trek kits,
TMP refit/a
TOS bridge
TMP Klingon battle cruiser
TNG Klingon battle cruiser
Enterprise, D-7 and RBOP kit
DS9 Carddsian ship
DS9 Defiant
DS9 runabout
TOS shuttle craft
They have announced the reissue of the DS9 station for later this year or next as well as the exploration kit.
And apearantly the molds for the Excelsior were permantly changed for the E-B by RC2 way back when.
As for ST Voyager model kits they were put out by Monogram onstead of AMT/RC2. Did I miss anything?????

·
Banned
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm wondering if they'll bother re-issuing the TOS shuttlecraft. It's a sad little kit and there's also the possibility of them offering a wholly new kit.

Mind you after studying images of both the full size mockup and the miniature I have to wonder how they'll go about reconciling the differences and offering us a "real" vehicle rather than replicating a studio prop, similar to what they're doing to the TOS E. Both the mockup and the miniature are with with production compromises although the full size mockup is the more detailed of the two.

Then again I'm willing to offer some suggestions. :D

·
Curmudgeon
6,614 Posts
Arguably, I'd say the Galileo II/Galileo 7 kit gives this one some stiff competition for the title of "least accurate AMT Trek kit".

·
Banned
718 Posts
Arguably, I'd say the Galileo II/Galileo 7 kit gives this one some stiff competition for the title of "least accurate AMT Trek kit".
Not even close... yeah, it's a terrible kit, but at least the GENERAL SHAPE IS RIGHT.

The Romulan's shape is so far off... it's like substituting "The Love Boat" to play the role of a WWII battleship.

The AMT shuttle kit at least gets the general shape right, even if it's wrong on almost every detail.

·
Banned
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For the PL Enterprise kits are the standard decals okay or is it reccommended to get aftermarket ones?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts