Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hadn't really mentioned these, as it's another too late to use as intended item. But..... We had a batch of transparent blue 1/350 Seaviews made in hopes of using them for two shows this Summer. Just arrived today with our batch of regular kits. I hadn't posted a picture yet, but they are on the Moebius store site with all other exclusives. Wish I had a picture to post, as it really is a cool look! We don't have many to be honest, as we did them numbered 1-240, and 120 went to Japan instantly. We will have a few marked as "Sample", but I'm not sure how many we'll have after they are sent to everyone that needs them in that capacity. Picture in a day or so...

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Trying like heck to get my wife to agree to let me get one!

Got it!

I'll be her slave for the next week but it's worth it.

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
Wow, what a strange yet beautiful thing...sorry it didn't work out as intended but I think there's gonna be happy people with this!

Hm. Guess one of those guys out there is gonna have to do a full interior now :)

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
If anyone plans on building theirs, might I recommend GS Hypotube cement? They use it for watch crystals and whatnot. Doesn't craze as far as I know and cures crystal clear.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Please note on these kits that to get the plastic to flow correct, they are ABS. Not sure if the kit is clear enough for an interior, but maybe!

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Good to know! Thanks Frank. The GS Hypo cement should be ok. It's more like a contact cement than a solvent type glue. But definitely need something a bit stronger than the usual styrene glue. Tenax or Plastruct Weldene should work fine.

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Tenax or Plastruct Weldene should work fine.
That would haze the pretty plastic. Hmmm, would Tenax haze ABS?

Sorry, me talking out of my butt again.

Carry on.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
CA glue fumes would haze the plastic. Coating the plastic with a layer of Future Floor acrylic will help minimize the hazing (and probably increase the transparency of the plastic too). The only thing about the welding type cements is that the pressure applied between the join changes before the solvent is set, then you get a marred join where the partially dissolved ABS pulls away from itself. That's why I think the Hypo cement, or a similar type of glue is the best option for clear parts.

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
I just ordered mine...be interesting to see just what this looks like.

Thanks Frank and Moebius for offering these to us.

MMM

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
I have never, not once ordered a kit not knowing what it looks like. But only 140 on the continent was too tantalizing to pass up.

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
sweet!

So, it is just a limited run of only 240 kits?

1 - 20 of 64 Posts