Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Rebar tie wire, you can find it at Home Depot for under $5 for a 100' roll.

I bought a roll when I had thoughts of making some routed long curves but never got around to it, so I'll be ready for my drag strip when I get some of my other things done.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Rail material

You may want to contact Brad Bowman about rail material. He may be able to sell you some (http://www.bradstracks.com/).

The welding wire etc. may have too much downforce for magnet cars.

When we built Tony Vourax' dragstrip out here in Colorado, we used some low magnetic downforce wire for the track rails (the same wire that Brad Bowman uses on his custom routed tracks). However, to overcome the lower magnet downforce problem, we triple railed the first one foot of the drag track, since this is where magnet cars would need the most assistance with traction. Then, the rest of the track is single railed for less magnetic drag on the cars. Finally, the shutdown area (along with no power) is 1/8 inch high iron content, steel rail.

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
LOL,i like that cement starting pad :thumbsup:
.0625" (1/16) Mig wire seems to have about the same pull as the old Maxtrax rails do.
That's using the old fish scale as a pull test device and a polymer mod (R/O) car,and a piece of early grey Maxtrax for comparision

1 - 10 of 10 Posts