Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just an FYI-Toys R Us might be closing shop, or be sold in the near future. From a press release today. Sad news for collectors of all kinds. Even though they did not carry a large amount of models anymore I still found figures, cars etc. there from time to time. Well, time will tell...

Link here:
http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/retail/2004-08-11-toys_x.htm

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I saw this coming when they remodeled their stores to cut down on shelf space for merchandise. A) remodeling cost money, and B) merchandise is kinda the reason you're open, isn't it?

And of course, C) Why shop in a store that has been made deliberately haphazard so you can't find or get to anything?

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I am SO glad that my family is at the age where most of my gift shopping is no longer done at TRU! I agree that the new look and design of the stores is terrible! It's pretty hard to locate that16 inches of shelf space dedicated to models!! Ah, well....just another thing to consign to the world of nostalgia : a GOOD toy store!!

Wayne

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
You mean your TRU had models? The ones here in Colorado Springs haven't stocked models for a couple of years. Same with Kaybee Toys (who recently closed down). Anyone else notice a trend here? Hmm.....

·
Registered
187 Posts
These megacorp retailers aren't in it for the long haul anyway. I can't think of one current retailer I would feel nostalgic for (or even remember next year) if it went under.

I have a feeling that our no-holds-barred darwinian/capitalist way of doing business is hitting the inevitable brick wall.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
I read an article excerpting the press statement, and find it absurd that TRU is finding competition from Walmart difficult. TRU is getting whipped by Walmart??

Don't know about the Walmarts where you guys live, but the ones near me have a miserable selection toywise. They used to at least carry a bare minimum of Playing Mantis stuff, but nothing lately.

It used to be that TRU was the place to get the lowest prices on toys. Then the insane remodeling - like they were deliberately trying to drive customers away by making it a headache to shop in their stores - and raising their prices until they were the worst deal in town (have to pay for that remodeling, after all)...what's really going on here, competition or bad management?

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
http://members.cox.net/darksidetru/ The web site, The Dark Side of Toys R Us.

I really don't understand that company, a few years back they started rearranging the stores. I couldn't understand it why they were doing away with display space. Then before they were even finished, they stopped and redid the interior to the current configuration, they had to have eliminated at least 1/4 of their display space. Unfortunately when it comes to JL's they are the only game in my area, Walmart has maybe 8 pegs, and Target has even less.

David.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
i agree that tru messed up big time with theire redesign of the stores interiors... they are now a lousey toy store, they used to be great!

as to walmarts, they did what they set out to do. use their power to put tru out of business. last xmas, walmart was selling toys at below their cost in order to eliminate the competition.

i do not care what they sell or how badly i need something, i will never shop at walmart again, and regret my past purchases. they have become evil.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
After re-reading the article, I notice that TRu's owners aren't talking about closing shop but selling. Sounds being made are that it's because they financed theemselves poorly, and that the company will continue under new owners and harsher budgets. Considering what TRU has been like the last few years, maybe this is just what the business needs - assuming the new owners are on the smae page and want to use the resource and not liquidate it.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I buy models from hobbyshops or online.

·
Banned
1,784 Posts
No big loss in my book. After the redesign of the store layouts (which looked like it had been done by some half-witted trolls after a bad acid trip), the reduction / elimination of model kits and the escalating prices on their merchandise, I'd say they've slit their own throats. They've survived this long in spite of their management, not because of it.

My 9 year old is big on video games. Why should I pay 49.95 for a 2 year old game if I can get it at EBX for 12.95?

My daughters are 15 & 13 so their toy days are about over.

I haven't seen a model kit (unless you count the pre-painted screw together cars) on their shelves in years. Last decent thing they had was Big "G" and around here, they were mighty scarce.

My son & I are still doing the 2 1/2 hour drive to Avenel Hobbies every 2 or 3 months and we stock up AND support a hobby shop that actually CARES what their customers want (not to mention that you can even find what you're looking for without wandering through the store 5 or 6 times).

Toys R Us? Already forgotten...

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
grantf said:
What or who is Walmart?
It's the Carrefour of the U.S. without the cute chicks on roller blades. Unlike France though, they've been allowed to build stores unchecked. They have a bit of a reputation problem too.

You were serious, right?

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
No one I know likes the "remodeled" TRU's, myself included. They are just not customer friendly. It is very frustrating trying to find anything you are looking for - and the poor staff gets the full brundt of the customers' venting of their frustration at the overly-confusing maze that is a "modern" TRU.

I certainly won't miss the three plastic (and pre-painted) car models that the local store carries. Anything that was marketed as a "Toys-R-Us exclusive" will just be marketed as an exclusive somewhere else.

The only sad part is from the kid in me: losing a toy store is like losing a hobby shop, in a certain respect.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts