Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help me out Hobbytalkers!

As I was growing up, I remember being completely entranced by a pair of toy airplanes way up high on the shelves at Grandma's house. Of course, part of the fascination no doubt was the restricted nature of the planes, but they vanished sometime when I was younger, and I've never seen them again. I do plan on asking my dad, of course, but in the mean time, maybe one of you can help me out.

I do remember they were made of metal. I want to say steel, but they could easily have been of tin or aluminum (I doubt tin, my foggy memory doesn't leave me with that impression). I remember some part of them was kind of bouncy. I don't remember any particular model types (as in, I couldn't tell you if it were, for example, a P-51 Mustang), but I seem to remember the german iron cross on one of them.

The biggest thing I do recall, however, is that they were more caricatures of airplanes. I distinctly remember that the fuselage were egg shaped, and maybe 6 or 8 inches from nose to tail.

No brand names, no plane names...I know it isn't much to go on. Given that they were at my grandma's house, odds are good that they were from the 50's or 60's. I doubt they were much older than that, though they may have been newer (I was a kid in the 70's).

If anyone remembers anything like it, please give me some pics so I can learn more about them. It's driving me nuts!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
tolenmar

There is a Japanese tin #160 fighter, and also a Bomber Pilot, that are stubby caricatures of airplanes made of tin back in the 60s or early 70s, but your description reminds me more of the Revell Deals Wheels figural plastic kits such as the Spitsfire (with RAF insignia) and the Fünfdecker Fokker and Messerschnitzel, both of which did have iron crosses on them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The important factor I do keep in mind, however, is that they were more caricatures of aircraft. I remarkably keep in mind that the fuselage were egg formed, and maybe 5 or 7 inches wide from nasal area to end.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts