Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Go Fast, Turn Left
4,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read elsewhere on HobbyTalk all the hub-bub about the new ESC's that are faster than anything that was available a short while ago.

The BRL is not allowing them for now. A good call IMO.:thumbsup:

At my local track they will not be allowed in certain classes. This is for the sake of keeping costs down for these entry level and budget minded classes.

What is the position of TOUR?

I'm not looking to start any arguements or bash-sessions. If that occurs I'll delete the thread. I simply have not seen this issue addressed on the TOUR forum.

I think a little direction from the TOUR guys would be helpful.
Maybe the issue is still being investigated.
Maybe the individual tracks should make this decision.

I fully understand that eventually all ESC's will be equal again. At least as much as they ever were. Such is life.

·
Premium Member
1,938 Posts
Thanks for your inquiry Scott, You are correct that the phone lines & emails between all involved in the TOUR have been busy about ESC's and other issues.

We have been in touch with all the major mfg's of speed controls and trying to get all our facts straight before any decision is made. As most of you are aware as far as I know no major sactioning body or race has ever had a rule for ESC.

With that said we are trying to not rush to make a rule, if we do. The TOUR only tried to set up a standard that made it possible for racers to be on the same page reguardless of where you raced. Then leave it to Track Owners, Promoters and so on to tweak as they see needed.

As we get more info I will be glad to share with you.

Thanks Agian
Allan A

·
Registered
343 Posts
At my local track they will not be allowed in certain classes. This is for the sake of keeping costs down for these entry level and budget minded classes. from
; OvalTrucker

Hey, I have a idea, to keep costs down for the entry level classes to have everyone in the class run a speedo like the GTB that has no timing thing going on? They should be real cheap now.

just my 2 cents

Hotrod

·
Registered
870 Posts
if you make a rule it should be that a part has to be for sale and aval. to everyone 30 days prior to a race, this would include cars bodys tires all of it.why is the esc getting all the attention when not the mamba or th AE uit won a single race?the one off race cars that some teams run shouldn't be allowed exc. in mod.notice not one ksg mono car had either esc in it and they won.AS for the brl they shouldn't allow the any proto cars in any class but 7.5!just my 2-cent,why scream about the speedo people can buy when ksg had a custom car basically that you cant buy?350 car kit 350 esc seems fair car people have been saying there new cars are faster than the one before now esc guys can say the same. Allan i would like to hear your point of veiw on these one off cars.and allan thanks for coming up with with TOUR i think you did the best thing for oval in years!and for those who will scream about me picking on ksg people i'm not HD had one and i think they should only have ran it in mod to.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
I love the cost saving crap:rolleyes:...in this situation, a $125 ESC will smoke ANYTHING out there. I ran the piss out of three GTB's for three years - it was a no-brainer for me to try a Mamba. Do I agree it's a good thing for the hobby? Yes and no, but if you were all in the replacement market you would do the same and your wallet would thank you for it.

BTW - I have had more Support from Castle Creations over the last two days than any RC manufacturer....ever.

·
Registered
769 Posts
if you only tested a prototype car during weekly shows in the slower classes and decided it was good enough to sell, somebody buys the $350 car and takes it to a big event and its the first time in one and the thing is a pile they would feel like they wasted money. just because a car works great running 3/4 to a sec faster in mod doesnt always mean it will work in the slower classes

·
Registered
85 Posts
Give one to the Hitman I want to see if it is in the right hands, give me a call Mike

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
whats this rumor i heard about speedo cut off dates for next year?

LOL

·
Registered
870 Posts
if you only tested a prototype car during weekly shows in the slower classes and decided it was good enough to sell, somebody buys the $350 car and takes it to a big event and its the first time in one and the thing is a pile they would feel like they wasted money. just because a car works great running 3/4 to a sec faster in mod doesnt always mean it will work in the slower classes
caleb if you can make it hook in mod it will go in anything,think about what you said if it will turn and drive in mod it will work in anything.also testing proto cars in a weekly show is where it should be done,and i see no problem in running a prototype in mod at big races.

·
Premium Member
1,938 Posts
Thanks for your input guys, I wish I could tell you I had a easy answer to your questions. But I dont, All involved with the TOUR have been talking to each other, and the mfg of ECS's.

This is what I know, Novak, LRP, Tekin, Speed Passion and some I am sure, I have forgot are working at a feverish pace to get their new esc finished and on the market. Castle Creations is working on a factory single cell version of their esc. The Advanced speed controls have arrived in the U S and I believe a new order has been placed. I am told this 2nd order will be less expensive, also these are apparently on the web over seas for sale.

As I stated before no rule making body has ever had a ESC rule. So what do we do????? As before when the TOUR idea first came up,we were able to get a concenus amoung most the major races and promoters, try and find a happy middle ground. And it didn't happen in a couple of weeks. This is tough, But we are working on it.

As before it basically comes down to what you the racer and your track want to do in the meantime.

Speaking for my track Greeneville RC Speedway only and not TOUR.

I am not allowing any of the new super dooper advanced timing type speedos or new speedo software (coming soon) in the 17.5 Sportsman class. I have split the Sportsman class to two speed levels to keep it competive. This seems to work for us. I have not made a decision on 13.5 class yet. Do not plan on making any restrictions on the 10.5 or 7.5 class.

I will share more info as I have it, Thanks for your questions and patience.

·
Go Fast, Turn Left
4,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks again Allan for all the effort you are putting into this. The ESC issue is basically unprecedented and I'm sure not everyone will be happy. The important thing for everyone to remember is that keeping things simple and as inexpensive as possible will keep people in the hobby and encourage new people to get started.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Sounds like it will be a non issue in a few weeks, as everyone is working on a new unit or software. Hopfully this will take care of itself and we can get back to working on the cars.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts