Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 1554 Posts

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well guys and gals(are there any?)Its about time the road course at Hobby World gets its own Thread. After all its the only permanant outdoor asphalt track(hows that for narrowing it down?)in the north Fl area. Lets hear It anybody want to talk? :wave: Good, Bad , Positive,Negative any remarks or suggestions are ok as long as its legal in all fifty states and canada eh? The first time I have ever driven a road course race at hobby world and the first time I've set down a car for competition there since 1995 was this past friday. I have'nt had that much fun since I dont know when. Well actually I do but thats not to talk about here :devil: My intentions of racing with some of my old batteries and motors were for naught as soon as I set the car down for practice I was offered batteries and motors by no less than three different people. You gotta love this stuff! Thanks everyone! I think I've created a monster in meself :mad:

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yikes

Yeah yeah yeah I know this should've been placed on the onroad section. I messed up and I've asked Hankster to move it. But now that you've seen it you know what to look for :wave: . Heh Heh Heh

·
Registered
721 Posts
you say it is a perminent track?
i will be in fl in about 10 days and will be in daytona i will be looking for a place to run any info or web page link would be great

thanks

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Number-0 Yes Hobby worlds track is nearing its twentieth anniversary as a permanant track and over five years now with asphalt. Its not the smoothest place in the world but its a outdoor track none the less. It did host the 2000 roar on road nats too! Its at 7273 103rd st in jacksonville 904 772 9022. Look in the oval section for the hobby world street spec site and one of the guys Shawn Leary has a link on all of his postings. I have no idea of how to link on to it though. They race on friday nights(people start getting there around 5:00 and the races start around 8:00) both oval and touring cars. The track and the facility is being swept up in a new wave of enthusiasm at the moment and there are many things in the planning stages. Please stop on buy when your down here. We'll say HOWDY Y'ALL!

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Allrightey then!? Lets not everyone chime in at once :devil: Another great night of racing at the squirrell. I didnt make my goal of 25 laps but in my second qualifier I just missed it. Hows a 24 in 5:00.05 grab ya? I didnt really need to see that as after a couple of minor shunts I took it easy for a couple of laps to settle down because I didnt think I was on pace to make my goal on that run. Moral of the story? Never let up, drive like heck and take all chances :eek: . Well after it was all over and the A main was history I still hadnt turned in a 25 lap run but two of the other four Dave's in the race had turned in really fast times. Dave P ran a quick 26'er and Dave Rook turned in an impressive 27 lap run with 8 other cars including me on the track. Dave K.? Up in smoke he goes :roll:

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looking for anyone who's actually used the rear shock tower on the front of an tc3 and what were your findings.? I see almost all of the fast guys in europe doing it but I have'nt actually spoken to anybody who has. Any inputs? I'm going to try it myself after I get a few more sets of springs to play with. Suspension, Yo gotta love it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
new track surface @hobby world [email protected]#?

hey all.... well just a lil inside iggy, hw racing is startring to get another look.we all know it needs new lighting,repaved,another announcer.......lol
why don't we just all vote to what goes on(instead of friday night racing, sat. or sun. afternoon)just an idea.. whos going to have a problem seeing there car in turn 3 then...but i did hear of a possibility of the track getting leveled and surfaced...all i can say is continue to support ur local hobby shops...one day we might not have aplace to run at all!........see ya friday night!

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh my!

I just got home after stopping by Ye ole racing circuit. Apparently somebody(I know who and thanks guys)took the initiative and there is now a totally new road course. It looks fast and it is alot longer than the last track using more of the oval than just the lap counting section. I was waiting to change my setup but it looks like the wait is over. New track equals new setup heh heh heh.

Oh boy if I just had some of those killer 3300's now. Also the store now has the premounted "take off's" on the new dish wheels and a bunch of them at that. Touring car may not have the number of racers the oval draws(yet)but it's still big fun.

There's a pretty strong friendly rivalry brewing too between all the Dave's. Could there be an all Dave main in the future? :tongue: I'm really looking forward to the future racing and just think in another month or two it'll start cooling off at night. You know I just thought of something. Hw is the only track that I know of that has three different tracks all inside of the ovals walls. Speedway,road course and bullring/small oval. Thats kida cool huh?

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh my gosh you savage?

Hey Lee that did kinda read wrong but I knew what you meant. My car has a few colors on it but it cant be misconstrued as a rainbow. :devil: Yes by all means go by and check it out. I can hardly wait till friday I just hope the weather holds.

Its hard to make out the course at first because of the openings for the small oval and such but when the cars pass the starting line they no longer turn right back into the infield. Now they go around turns four and three onto the back stretch where theres a really sharp 180 right turn back into the infield almost at turn two. Now they travel right to left on what used to be the road course straight then into the now lefthand sweeper which used to be right and then into the dead area that used to be in the infield as a new chicane that carries you diagonally into the same righthand sweeper that tightens back up into a hard left to bring you back into a righthander out onto the drivers stand straight. Wow I did it. after a couple of cold ones my brain still works.

There are a couple of areas that the car is carrying alot of speed where if the driver is not careful a dangerous meeting of pvc,carbon fiber and lexan takes place. Should be fun. I'm estimating a 23/24 lap run in five minutes compared to the 26/27 lappers by the faster guys on the old layout. But what do I know? The track is definately not as right turn biased as it was which is a good thing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wassup guys

wassup guys i dont usually get on these things much but im in for the info so everyone post it up and ill see all you guys soon

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
uh Mystery person?

Chekmate said:
wassup guys i dont usually get on these things much but im in for the info so everyone post it up and ill see all you guys soon
like maybe tonight or friday? :tongue:

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Hey,
Swung by and saw the new track layout today, looks pretty good! I,m glad they left the short track alone hehe! Do you think its smooth enough to run a 12th scale on? mines been sitting around for awhile.see Ya tommorrow night!

Lee Helander :cool:

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh my?

Well the innaugural running of the new road couse was a success. I think everyone who ran the new layout liked it for its much more technical sections and its now much longer straight sections too.

But the much dreaded and anticipated aforementoined meeting of composites and pvc with a little lexan throw in for good measure occured on several occasions and it was not a pretty site.

I for one put a glancing contact with one of the pipe conectors in the infield chicane and totally exploded the left front suspnsion on my tc3. The hit didnt even change the direction of the car and sounded like body contact.

Well before the mains John Hart duct tape wrapped the offending sections of the track(A good Idea)and there were no more broken parts throughout the mains. Thanks John, I wish I had thought of that before the second round.

The new layout also reduced the lapcount more than was expected as I previously thought that 23/24 laps would be run. But no. Stock only was able to run a fast 17 lapper and I believe superstock(19t mod) only turned 18 and some change but maybe 19. The future is bright, After I rebuild my front end that is.

·
Registered
19 Posts
well guys time to say it didnt run as smoothly as id have liked it to friday but im glad that the ones that were there did adhear to the things we said its just the beginning but i think with the help i got friday and possibly more well get to run the qualifiers like we talked about... anther thing guys everyone done really well about keeping there place picked up i wanna thank everyone for the support all i can say is keep it up smooth track is lookin up and up everyday.... Can n e one say 1/12th on asphalt at hobby world oh touche

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Uh huh. The new setup works good on the rug. Cant wait to try it friday night on the blacktop. see Y'all there if I'm back in town from Charlotte.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ok guys heres the dillema i dont know who it is or whats bein said but as of today we ARE racing friday night no news yet on when the guys are comin to repave i will let everyone know on here if you have any questions gimme a call at the shop or post here i will usually check this once a night... and see ya for racin on friday night ROOK

1 - 20 of 1554 Posts