Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to my very first race last weekend with my son and it was a blast.

We are thinking of jumping in with both feet and looking for some advice. It appears from what I gained that it is a lot to do with the "controller"

We will likely run nascar, some type of open class, and drag cars

What is the best controller to go with?

I know the answer is likely not to be that simple and be riddled with personal preference but willing to listen to all advice.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
What scale cars are you interested in? How much space will you have for the track? How many people will be racing at a time?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Went to my very first race last weekend with my son and it was a blast.

We are thinking of jumping in with both feet and looking for some advice. It appears from what I gained that it is a lot to do with the "controller"

We will likely run nascar, some type of open class, and drag cars

What is the best controller to go with?

I know the answer is likely not to be that simple and be riddled with personal preference but willing to listen to all advice.
All good responses above, but I personally would be asking the guys you are doing the racing with. Since they should know the exact specs of the cars you are running and they have figured out what works best, they would probably have the best advice.

That being said, it would be helpful for us to know exactly what kind of cars you're running as well.

Glad you found the hobby and are going to enjoy it!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Simple! It's not only personnal preference but also Technical specs....

Voltage used for the track , Type of car, Scale of the car/Track, and probably many more.

I'm still new to the slot cars thing myself and will always be willing to listen and learn for many years to come, but some things I have found out in a short time.

For example: Voltage used on the track can be a big determining factor in narrowing down the choices.

When I use my adjustable power supply at 22 volts, The minimun Ohm resister in the controller should be no less than 60ohms on AFX ho scale with AFX SRT car. Each scale (HO, 1/32, 1/24) probably has a different preference at that particular voltage.

Again at 12 volts AFX HO Scale TRack , Life like Fast trackers, AFX SRT's and AFX Mega G's all 3 seem to be in more control when useing 3 different ohm resistor controllers (25, 35, 45) due to the different magnatisms and motors in the cars.

I like the advice above about starting with the local users of the specific track you will be useing. Just to many variables to shift through.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
knew the answer would not be simple - I will check with the regulars for some advice for sure

not sure on the power or track lengths - will get that info for sure

scale is 1/24? 4" and 4 1/2" I think

·
Registered
641 Posts
...scale is 1/24? 4" and 4 1/2" I think
The Parma Turbo frame controllers with it's long wiper arm has a short travel trigger,
which makes it very responsive.
The 3 ohm is good for oval track and road racing 4" WB flex chassis with 16D 501,
Super 16D 502 motors and Parma 4.5 FCR with 16D 501 motors.

Parma Turbo Qualifier Controller - 3 OHM - #270C $84.99

·
Member of Da Band
2,493 Posts
BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH. These guys will drive you nuts with all that drivel on which controller is best. I've been in this slot car business for 50 years! The controller that is best for you is the one that will fit your wallet. The cheaper the better. There is no sense in dumping several hundred dollars into this hobby, and finding out two weeks later it was a mistake. For a large scale commercial track, a one or two ohm anything will work. You will probably want two because they get real hot! If you're running on a home built track, go with what the rest of the guys are running, be it 35 ohms or 45ohms, or whatever ohms. The best place to find cheap controllers is to buy used stuff from guys that frequent the track, or even other club members. Ebay or this boards For Sale/Trade forum is another good place to start. One thing to always do is your home work and make sure you know what you are buying, and how much it will cost brand new. I would not pay more than 50% of the new price for a used controller. Why? Cause it's used. By the way, for HO racing and just general fooling around I use a controller that set me back all of two bucks. I bought it out of someone's junk box at a slot car show. And no it's not a Parma or Perfessor Joe Snodbody's Fabulous Controller X with all the bells and whistles that sells for 300 clammies! You just don't need to spend that much money on stuff, and that's the bottom line, to have FUN at the track! Just my honest two cents worth of an opinion! Have a good day and may your joints be smooth!

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Dennis!...I know your using the "Ticonderoga" controller ...

... split a number 2 pencil down the middle and fixed a wire at one end and are now sliding the looped end of another wire along the graphite rod.

Vroooom vroooooom!

The gravity racers are all jealous.... LOLOLOLOLOL!

·
Member of Da Band
2,493 Posts
Actually, Bill I am kinda partial to the "Golden Hoe" or maybe the "Silver Spade" controllers. Just plain and simple "ON/OFF" switches from the golden era of home built racing stuff from the stone age days. And of course don't forget the original rubber cement we used to use to make our tires stick like heck! HAR!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts