Hobbyist Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
i checked out the True North site. I didn’t see anything about how to order though. Sent them a message asking them about that.
If you go to their website, click on the "Paint Store" tab on the upper right side. Then scroll down, select the color that you want, then click "Add to Cart", and Bob's your uncle.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I used the same Tamiya colors for the exterior. For the interior green, Tamiya Gray Green AS-29 looks close to me. I've seen some greens in use that look way too bright.

·
Registered
150 Posts
OK I received my paint order from True North in the mail today. Took one week to arrive from Maine to New Jersey. They were packed very well.

From what I can see, the colors look spot on when compared to what I have of the Model Master colors. The Aggressor Gray was the tough one to find in MM. Also, as I had previously mentioned, I was able to locate MM Wood at a LHS.

I'm hoping to be able to do a test run this weekend to see for sure. I'll share what I find.

·
Registered
150 Posts
OK so I had a few minutes today to do a comparison between the Model Master and True North paints. I took a piece of scrap styrene and masked out some rectangles to do them side-by-side. On the left are the MM paints with their respective numbers, while on the right are the TN and their numbers. Here's what I came up with:

I just quickly mixed these and brushed them on. What I noticed was that the TN paints seemed slightly thicker than the MMs to me, with the exception of the Gull Gray, which seemed about the same. I didn't have any MM Aggressor Gray with which to make a comparison, so the TN version stands alone for that color. You will notice that the TN Gull Gray appears to be a bit lighter in shade, but I think this is a photography glitch; this color had something of a semi-gloss sheen in parts of that sample, and the lighting makes it appear lighter. Looking at it in person the color is a lot closer to the MM (perhaps I should have gone over that one again). My photography here is poor, as I used my cellphone for a quick pic, and I also know that color represented on different computer screens will not be consistent, so YMMV. Wood is the only unknown here, but now that I have some MM of that tint, I'll have to go back to the TN website and see if there is something that might be comparable.

Bottom line, I think these True North colors match up very well to the original Model Master ones. I suppose the next step will be to mix up the colors as directed in the earlier post for the upper and lower parts of the shuttle and do some air brushing. As these are all enamels, mixing the MM Wood should be OK with the other TN colors. I'll try to get to that soon and share the results of that exercise.

I hope this helps.

·
Administrator
29,003 Posts
Visually each of us will also vary in our ability to discern more color shades and tones than others as well. And as we are predominately male here each of use may also have various degrees of color blindness. For me each of the TN colors is a shade or two lighter than the MM but not so much as to be passiable one for the other.

How long was it before you took the photo and when you first painted the samples? Most paints will dry to a darker color when fully dry/cured.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
I got my shipment from TrueNorth today. The quick look I gave them looked nice.

Thanks Scotty K for the spray outs! Thats very helpful. Wood will be the TN issue. I'm not sure I'm
willing to add MM to TN yet.

·
Registered
150 Posts
How long was it before you took the photo and when you first painted the samples? Most paints will dry to a darker color when fully dry/cured.
It was about an hour of drying time before I took the photo. That's an excellent point. Perhaps I can take another pic again after another day or so to see if it has changed.

·
Administrator
29,003 Posts
Another test you can do is to turn it 180 degress in the same spot (and time) you took the first photo and see if the same tone difference still show as before for you.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Any suggestions on paints from Home Depot?😋
-Jim G.G.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts