Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a quick look and didn’t find any answers for this so I apologize if I am duplicating the topic. In looking at the paint colors on the new Polar Lights TOS Shuttlecraft they seem, to me, a bit vague. The colors are straight up Gray, Dark Gray, etc. I was hoping Gary, or someone else, might have better paint suggestions, similar to the paint scheme for the K’tinga, Testors/Tamiya rattle can and mix via airbrush options.

While I’m asking, has anyone seen an interior upgrade for this (admittedly) brand new kit?

Thanks,
Tib

·
Oxidation Genius
31,236 Posts
According to Randy Cooper (or was it Mark Myers?), Gary Kerr told him to mix ModelMaster colors thusly:
Medium gray upper hull:
75% Flat Gull Gray #1730
25% Lt Sea Gray #1726

Dark Gray Lower Hull:
70% Aggressor Gray #1794
20% Euro 1 Gray #1788
10% Wood #1735

Of course MM military colors are discontinued, so if you don't already have them, you may have a problem.
Personally, I hate mixing colors, so I'll probably find something "close enough"

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
According to Randy Cooper (or was it Mark Myers?), Gary Kerr told him to mix ModelMaster colors thusly:
Medium gray upper hull:
75% Flat Gull Gray #1730
25% Lt Sea Gray #1726

Dark Gray Lower Hull:
70% Aggressor Gray #1794
20% Euro 1 Gray #1788
10% Wood #1735

Of course MM military colors are discontinued, so if you don't already have them, you may have a problem.
Personally, I hate mixing colors, so I'll probably find something "close enough"

It gets confusing! It was me. Randy cooper then came to me, and I gave him the formulas...All good!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, yeah I guess close enough will have to do, appreciate the info!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So now that we have a mix for the exterior (now I have to use my lousy airbrush skills :() do we k ow the interior wall color? Lacking an interior, I still want to have to doors open. Until an interior is made available 3rd party or a future kit, I’d like the interior to be close. Any thoughts on that? Seen some greenish hues but they don’t look right to me.

Tib

·
Registered
637 Posts
That interior green reminds me of the green color that my old high school hallways were painted. There is also a 2 to 3 ft band of a tan color at the bottom with dark gray carpet. A darker tan color is also applied where the top of the wall curves over into the light fixture. The tan is completely absent on the rear bulkhead between compartments.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Medium gray upper hull:
75% Flat Gull Gray #1730
25% Lt Sea Gray #1726

Dark Gray Lower Hull:
70% Aggressor Gray #1794
20% Euro 1 Gray #1788
10% Wood #1735

OK, so my next dumb question is: Does anyone have any suggestions for suitable replacements for the ModelMaster paint colors?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Well, I think I can answer my own question.

Apparently this company is making a lot of the enamel colors that ModelMaster used to make. They have the same FS colors available for all of the grays. The only one I couldn't find was the wood; I'm not exactly sure what tint that is supposed to be.

I've put in an order with them, so we'll see how it works out.

UPDATE: I found a LHS that has the wood, so that solves that problem.

·
Registered
5,056 Posts
Well, I think I can answer my own question.

Apparently this company is making a lot of the enamel colors that ModelMaster used to make. They have the same FS colors available for all of the grays. The only one I couldn't find was the wood; I'm not exactly sure what tint that is supposed to be.

I've put in an order with them, so we'll see how it works out.

UPDATE: I found a LHS that has the wood, so that solves that problem.
i checked out the True North site. I didn’t see anything about how to order though. Sent them a message asking them about that.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Unless I missed it True north does not have a "wood" color. I'm guessing mixing TN and MM paints will end badly.
They have several browns that might work.

·
Premium Member
2,825 Posts
I'm sticking with Tamiya Acrylic Spray paint; AS-16 Light Grey (USAF) for the upper hull, wings and back, and am seriously considering Tamiya Lt. Grey Surface Primer for the lower hull. Just for giggles, I'm going to build this in "flight" mode with retraced landing gear and red light for the rear engines.
Kater, after I get the Randy Cooper Interior Kit, I'll build it in gear down/open door mode.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm sticking with Tamiya Acrylic Spray paint; AS-16 Light Grey (USAF) for the upper hull, wings and back, and am seriously considering Tamiya Lt. Grey Surface Primer for the lower hull. Just for giggles, I'm going to build this in "flight" mode with retraced landing gear and red light for the rear engines.
Kater, after I get the Randy Cooper Interior Kit, I'll build it in gear down/open door mode.
Look up John P's build on here. He used AS-16 for the top and AS-11 on the bottom and nacelles. I think those colors looked great on his.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts