Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
4,621 Posts
That picture threw me when I first saw it some days ago. However, I strongly suspect that what we see here is an illusion or misperception in some form because I seriously doubt the original BoP miniature was that big.

·
Registered
167 Posts
There's just a hint of the track on the floor that can help establish perspective.

But it would still be hard. You would have to know how tall the man in the photo is.. or how high the model was off the floor or how long the track was.

·
Registered
459 Posts
He looks to be further away than the minature.
The claws and tail of the eagle pattern appear to be in focus, but the clapperboard is not.
If the clapper guy was any good he'd have the clapper in a position where it'd be in focus, and if it's too dark lit with a torch.
Out of focus / dark boards are the bane of all editors...
Pay peanuts and get monkeys.

Jim

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Not necessarily. There's definitely multiple studio lights in the shot, but if the main or key light was up high enough, the BoP's shadow may very well be on the ground, in front of the fellow. Also, the TV camera may very well be properly focused on the board, the still camera that made this shot may not.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Ignatz said:
Also, the TV camera may very well be properly focused on the board, the still camera that made this shot may not.
That doesn't make sense. The bluescreen has been replaced by stars, so this is composited footage from the movie camera...if it isn't a Photoshop collage.

I'm not convinced. There is something odd about the image. Perhaps Phil can give us some more info about where he got it.

Mark

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
The fellow with the slate is standing in front of the same blue backing that is surrounding the Romulan ship. This would be found at the head of the take so that the editor could identify the shot. When the shot went through the optical steps to make the comp, the slate and the gentleman holding it would be comp'd into the starfield as well.

When the shot is cut into the show, the slate portion at the head is trimmed off. Any camera track, light stands, flags, etc., that intrude into the frame are removed with the use of garbage mattes.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yeah, It seems to make sense to me too. The camera starts filming. The clapper guy does his thing. He then steps out of the way and the miniature or camera begins its motion. They then run the the whole film strip including the clapper guy part at the begining through the compositing process.

What we see is an extremely rare example of a part of the process that usually gets cliped in the editing process.

Very cool stuff IMO!

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Nice!!!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
KUROK said:
Is that not the worst toupee you've ever seen?

:roll:
I can imagine when Bill auditioned for the Capt's part, G.R. thought there's something missing, he grabs this guy's toupe and puts it in Shatner's head.:p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts