Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing some custom decaling on a 1/1000 1701 and having a real problem lining up 2 identical halves on each side of the saucer.

The problem was that I was using the port and starboard running light as a guide to getting both sections in the right place.

Am I going blind or is the port light off-center - or too far aft?

Also, I've built loads of these and each time the starboard warp engine fails to lock into place - anyone else have the same problem?

Cheers,

Mike

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Bay7 said:
...Also, I've built loads of these and each time the starboard warp engine fails to lock into place - anyone else have the same problem?...
Thanks, for bringing this up. I'm building the kit for the first time. Both of my warp engines locked into place, however, I could not get either of them to do so with the correct attitude.

I spent some time filing adjustments to the tops of the pylons but, eventually, I relented and cut the pylon extensions enough to clear the capturing slots inside the engines. Although this solution worked, I haven't found any other reference to this situation, other than the kit's own instruction illustrations. They show the engines tilted over in the same way mine did, when assembled stock.

From the angle of the pylon extensions, and the slots inside the engines, it appears the assembly was designed to hold together in the correct relation. But, like Homer J. says, what're you gonna do? :freak:

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, for the first timers on this kit, I found it much easier to snap on the saucer without the saucer top and bottom joined together - I should imagine it would be better to snap the lower saucer on first then attach the top - then do filling and sanding as it would reduce chances of cracking while the complete unit was forced into place.

I'm also finding it hard to get a good fit on the rear end caps.

After all these kits have been built, there must be a ton of spare warp engines out there!

Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts