1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
434 Posts
Man,I would love to have that for a project car! She looks pretty rough, but with some TLC could be restored to her former glory. Hey, lets call American Resorations and get Rick to restore it,it's history right? Thanks for those interesting but somehow depressing pics.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
a lot of people talk about building a full size Jupiter 2 on there property, can you imagine whhat would happen to it if they made the hull out of ply wood and it was out side in the sun and rain for a couple of years ?

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Jupiter 2, dreamed of it, sure, but would it pass city building codes and the neighborhood committee?

·
Registered
455 Posts
a lot of people talk about building a full size Jupiter 2 on there property, can you imagine whhat would happen to it if they made the hull out of ply wood and it was out side in the sun and rain for a couple of years ?
If someone were to seriously want to construct a full size replica of the prop and had the funds and the commitment to do it, they'd probably have to build it or have it built inside a metal barn or hanger type structure. I'm not sure what materials besides ordinary building materials one would need to use, but even if there were materials that could stand up to the elements, the replica would constantly need to be cleaned and/or painted. I've often wondered what a full size replica would cost, but more importantly whether anyone ever attempted it beyond the "all talk" stage. I doubt it but I'd like to know.
Jim

·
Oxidation Genius
31,296 Posts
Lyndie says the original was partly built of masonite, including the roof. That's why the roof collapsed when it was left outside. She's replaced all masonite with marine-quality plywood.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Seeing various pictures of the shuttle during various stages of decay I can't think how simple the construction of the shuttle is. This is not a complicated object. It was obviously built very quickly and cheaply. Why it has been so hard to restore - and so expensive - over the years is beyond me. A good boat repair man should have had that thing like new in no time.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Wow! With 8 days to go this could easily get very very expensive. I sure hope the restoration team working on winning the bid gets it. Their plan is to share it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I stand corrected.

Yes, with 8 days to go, it will doubtless rise quite a bit. I know on eBay, you always have a lot of last minute "snipers" that can double a bid level in a couple of hours. Auction prices always have psychological price barriers that slow things down though. I'll stick my neck out and guess it will go for around $50K, but who knows. I seem to recall a TOS shooting model that sold for over $100K. Larger items are a tougher sell, though. I recall the Profiles In History tried to auction the shuttle from the Enterprise series (I think) and it didn't reach their reserve amount. That shuttle was in great shape, too-- inside and out.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,296 Posts
Bidding is currently $20,250. It would be great to watch Rick on Am. Restoration fix it up, but that would easily cost another $20K.
I think Lyndie said she was warned away from them, on the basis that they'd do a half-baked job just to get it in good enough shape to resell for a profit.

Someone who really loves the ol' girl should be the one to get 'er, not somebody doing it just for the sake of their business.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts