Hobbyist Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
161 - 168 of 168 Posts

·
Banned
718 Posts
I wouldn't want to even think about trying to apply gridlines as a decal. No way and no how. I'd leave them off.
Well, I'm not talking about "just the gridlines."

We KNOW that there is going to be a "weathering decal set." It is entirely reasonable to assume that this will include the weathering streaks, the "rust ring," and the like. Whether it reflects the best possible reproduction of the filming state of the model, or the "as seen in the smithsonian today" version, it still unclear (though we know what we'd prefer, I'm certain!).

If there is going to be a big decal sheet with the primary hull weathering... it really only makes sense to have the lines on those sheets, doesn't it?

I can see why you'd want to avoid a decal sheet with nothing but gridlines, though... and that's not what I was suggesting.
At no time did Gary Kerr imply he was infallible, but he has carefully studied the 11 footer firsthand. I'd say that makes him more of an authority than a lot of us who have only seen the filming miniature onscreen through the veil of faded f/x prints and low CRT television resolution.
Oh, no question... and I know that he has not, HIMSELF, called himself that. I was not saying anything about him... only about the "overly fawning" treatment that a subset of those who post here, or elsewhere, seem to be showing. I just wanted to bring him back down to the same planet as the rest of us in the eyes of those people who are, evidently, in the process of elevating him to Godhood.

For the record, most people who are elevated to that level in somebody else's eyes end up hating it eventually. Better to think of him as a fellow fan with a lot of expertise. But not to treat him as an "unimpeachable, unquestionable source" as some seem to be doing.

That's all I'm sayin...
Calling the upper saucer detail a bow light is really nothing more than a shorthand form of description so we all understand what is being discussed. I also don't accept it as a bow light per se simply because it isn't domed light the port and starboard running lights. I can accept it as a hatch or a sensor of some type. But I'm not bothered by anyone referring to it as a bow light for the sake of specifying what detail they're talking about.
I do wonder if, perhaps, they planned on having a light like those on the port and starboard, but ended up leaving it out. The diameter from the P-hull center, and the diameter of the shape itself, does tend to lend itself to that assumption.

Maybe they put it in, then realized that from certain angles it ended up looking like a "clown nose" on the final ship and they removed it?

·
Registered
848 Posts
I'm just a little bit "edgy" about the overly-fawning tone I keep hearing about Gary Kerr.

He has great knowledge of shapes... but I'd argue that his knowledge is by no means "complete." There are things you can get from a physical inspection of a model... angles, sizes, etc... where I'd treat him as utterly authoritative. But there are other areas... curved shapes and the like... that can't be measured without special techniques (laser scanners and the like, which were NOT USED during that "restoration inspection," were they?)
Seriously, I don't know what your problem is, storming in here with a series of heated posts. Are you STILL angry about grid lines on the model?

Btw, you said, "But there are other areas... curved shapes and the like... that can't be measured without special techniques (laser scanners and the like, which were NOT USED during that "restoration inspection," were they?)"

Trust me, Mr. Smarty Pants, there ARE ways to measure curves (and to doublecheck them) that don't involve laser scanners - just as I pointed out to you on the Starship Modeler board that the leading edge of the control reactor CAN be straight.

I suggest that you check your attitude at the door so interested parties can discuss the topic civilly.

Gary

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I am still on the fence of how to paint the old girl. Part of me wants to recreate the look of the filming miniature, i.e. the rust ring and gridlines on the primary hull. Another part of me wants to have it look like it did on TV when I watched it as a child, uniform grey in color with no visible gridlines. Glad we have a year to decide! I am just greatful I will get a chance to build it.

Thank you Gary, for all your work on this project as well as those for Moebius. It is easy to criticize, but saying "Thank You" gets overlooked far too often in life.

·
Banned
718 Posts
Seriously, I don't know what your problem is, storming in here with a series of heated posts. Are you STILL angry about grid lines on the model?

Btw, you said, "But there are other areas... curved shapes and the like... that can't be measured without special techniques (laser scanners and the like, which were NOT USED during that "restoration inspection," were they?)"

Trust me, Mr. Smarty Pants, there ARE ways to measure curves (and to doublecheck them) that don't involve laser scanners - just as I pointed out to you on the Starship Modeler board that the leading edge of the control reactor CAN be straight.

I suggest that you check your attitude at the door so interested parties can discuss the topic civilly.

Gary
I am discussing it civilly. I'm not "posting a series of heated posts." Nothing "heated" about anything I've said. On the other hand, it sure seemed "heated" for you to say what you just said, didn't it?

Gary, you know perfectly well that there are pencil lines on the filming model. You know perfectly well that these were not engraved lines. You, personally, believe that these were intended to represent engraved lines. But this is your opinion, not "hard fact."

Are you actually offended that I stated that you may not be the all-knowing oracle of all matters Enterprise? You're a fan... and you have good information in your toolbox, as I said. But you're not the "sole owner" of this idea any more than anyone else is.

Put another way... you're a lucky guy who has, through some talent and through some good fortune, gotten a gig that most of us envy. But you need a degree of humbleness, and my comment above was focused on that. You need to remember that you have great RESPONSIBILITY here, not "great authority."

And really... "Mr. Smarty Pants?" :drunk:

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
If I recall correctly, it had to do with grid lines.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Just curious as to how many of us here had the opportunity to actually touch, study, and examine the construction of the filming miniature?

I thought so!

I would say that makes Gary an expert on the subject, more than any of us who have seen the model on TV or hanging in the Smithsonian.

No, I don't worship Gary as some kind of "Trek God". I Worship only One, and, no offense Gary, you are no Him. What I do know is how to respect the opinions of someone who knows what he is talking about, not someone who is jealous that his life has denied him the same path Gary has traveled!

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
CL Brown - From your tone, I gather you and Bolian Admiral are friends - and I know you both from back when I used to frequent TrekBBS. All I'm going to say at this time is "lose the attitude". Specifically where GaryK is concerned. He's done nothing but offer his insight on his hands-on experiences w/the original filming model, yet you take him to task over what he's said, as well as insult those who make mention to his knowledge.

It ends. 'Nuff Said.

NO MORE GRIDLINE THREADS, NO MORE TALK ABOUT GRIDLINES UNTIL 1 SEPTEMBER!

We'll see at that time if a discussion on the subject can stand back up in an adult fashion.

161 - 168 of 168 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.