Hobbyist Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Note to Moderator: If this topic is out of line or should be placed somewhere else, please feel free to do so.

Background: On Friday, July 26, I received an e-mail from Round 2. I know that several threads on the new 1:350 here were side-tracked on the debate of how the Enterprise crew was fed, and whether there should be grid lines on the new kit. In fact, the original thread was shut down.

The e-mail deals with this issue (grid lines), but I have yet to see any comments here in HobbyTalk, as this appeared to be a large issue to some.

I don't even know if all members of the 1701 Club received this e-mail concerning the issue, as no comments have been made here.

For those that have, thoughts?

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
I did not get an e-mail either...........................:rolleyes:
-Jim

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
The heck with the grid lines, will the underside of the saucer have the three dimples like the AMT kit? Because that's history, man, history. :)

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Why fuss about something that is almost literally nothing? Jaimie said that if they can't do them so they look like pencil lines, then they won't do them. That means they may not happen at all, and if they do, a light sanding will erase them from your model. Even the most inexperienced of us here can sand a little to get rid of a "feature" if we don't want it on our model. After all, a lot of us sanded off the trademark info on the first issue of 1/1000 TOS Enterprises without much fuss.

Larry

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did not get an e-mail, but I did see their blog post about the topic.
I should have stated that I received an e-mail from Round 2 linking me to their newsletter/blog.

Do we really want to open this can of worms again?
I don't really, but I was surprised that since I received the e-mail, there has been zero, zilch, zip discussion here of 1) the e-mail and 2) Round 2's blog posting.

In the blog posting they do give the pro's and con's of each side of the debate.

Usually when something like that happens, you find it here (HobbyTalk) first.

·
Banned
4,621 Posts
Why fuss about something that is almost literally nothing? Jaimie said that if they can't do them so they look like pencil lines, then they won't do them. That means they may not happen at all, and if they do, a light sanding will erase them from your model. Even the most inexperienced of us here can sand a little to get rid of a "feature" if we don't want it on our model. After all, a lot of us sanded off the trademark info on the first issue of 1/1000 TOS Enterprises without much fuss.

Larry
This.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'll reiterate that I am vehemently against any gridlines on this ship, and if they are on it, I may not purchase one. I just want Round 2 to know that... if I am asked to pay over a hundred bucks for a kit, I don't want one with useless grdlines that I'll have to spend even more time and energy getting rid of... money also, if a 3rd party smoothie saucer is made. So I'm telling Round 2, for anyone there who cares to listen, if we get a smoothie, I will certainly buy one, and might even buy 2, so I can do a pilot version... but if we get gridlines, I won't purchase even one.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Well, since there's been no official email to club members, this is a non issue right now to me.

If R2 wants to start the debate, they should ask the club members first, IMHO.

Personally, I don't care if they have lines or not, but some feel mildly irritated at the thought.

:wave:

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Well, I have gotten an E-mail from the 1701 club, on July 18th, and it includes notes Gary has made on the drawings for tooling and it does have gridlines. I say "SO WHAT", if they are there, I will buy the kit, if they are not......I will buy the kit. Makes no nevermind to me!

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Their blog post says that they aren't sure about having the grid lines yet. Its not at all clear why they think they should be there since they state 'our mission is to create a representation of Matt Jeffries’ design in support of what was shown onscreen.'

But consider:

1. Grid lines we never shown on screen right?

2. They went the extra mile to remove them from the AMT repop so why add them here.

3. Para-quoting 'If we put them (grid lines) on they will be so subtle that they wont be hard to remove if a modeler doesn't want them'

Looks like a pretty much non-starter feature so why would they consider it?
Somehow this 'debate' just seems like a way to draw attention.

I tend to build my my Enterprises how I remember them looking on screen so if they are on the kit I purchase I'll just remove them since I never saw them.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Their blog post says that they aren't sure about having the grid lines yet. Its not at all clear why they think they should be there since they state 'our mission is to create a representation of Matt Jeffries’ design in support of what was shown onscreen.'

But consider:

1. Grid lines we never shown on screen right?

2. They went the extra mile to remove them from the AMT repop so why add them here.

3. Para-quoting 'If we put them (grid lines) on they will be so subtle that they wont be hard to remove if a modeler doesn't want them'

Looks like a pretty much non-starter feature so why would they consider it?
Somehow this 'debate' just seems like a way to draw attention.

I tend to build my my Enterprises how I remember them looking on screen so if they are on the kit I purchase I'll just remove them since I never saw them.
Those grid lines were raised.

There is a difference.

·
Registered
902 Posts
My understanding is the gridlines were pencil so technically they were there on screen, just too faint to see them at TV film grain resolution. I still have pictures saved from the IDIC page showing them on the 11 footer. For a 1:350 scale model, if they are able to engrave them very very thin or not at all that would be okay. I can draw them in myself lightly with pencil. I definitely can't stand raised panel lines.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,253 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
My understanding is the gridlines were pencil so technically they were there on screen, just too faint to see them at TV film grain resolution. I still have pictures saved from the IDIC page showing them on the 11 footer. For a 1:350 scale model, if they are able to engrave them very very thin or not at all that would be okay. I can draw them in myself lightly with pencil. I definitely can't stand raised panel lines.
Exactly... the gridlines on the 11-footer were penciled in... thus they were NOT part of the model itself, lol. If Round 2 wants to make the model accurate to what Jefferies did, there will be no gridlines.

And just an FYI to anyone posting links to TrekCore... the hotlinking doesn't work... you get an error message when clicking it.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Yes, but Jeffries drew his blueprints WITH gridlines. So for all those who say the windows should be asymmetrical because of these same drawings, then the gridlines ARE an original designed element. BAZINGA!!!!! :)

1 - 20 of 168 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.