Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 167 Posts

·
Oxidation Genius
31,235 Posts
WOOHOO!

Hoping they do the "parts for all 3 versions" thing that Tom Sasser did for them on the 1/1000 kit.

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
You just go ahead and put those details in there, and I will decide if I can pick them out at 1/350 scale. :lol:

This is superb news. I've had a strong attachment to this ship for 45 years, now. I can't tell you how good this makes me feel that the definitive model kit will finally be produced. Throw all of those details in there!

·
Registered
664 Posts
Wow! This is indeed good news!

WOOHOO!

Hoping they do the "parts for all 3 versions" thing that Tom Sasser did for them on the 1/1000 kit.
Take a close look at the computer screen in the image that accompanies the article. I see file names for plans for the 1st pilot, 2nd pilot and production versions! Gary Kerr is on the job!

·
Registered
632 Posts
WOOHOOOO!!! YESS!!! I was hoping they hadn't forgot about it. They seem to be focusing so much time on the new Enterprise and other items, I was afraid we were gonna be outta luck. Granted, it's still a long way off, but at least there is hope :)

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
26 sheets on the nacelles?
In my world we call that wasting time and money.

This doesn't give me confidence.
In your world, is the motto: "Aw, close enough for government work"? Having seen the amazing research and detail Mr. Kerr puts into his work, I'm confident that for the first time, in any scale, and for any version, there will be an Enterprise model that doesn't need months of reworking or three times the price of the model in aftermarket fixes. I didn't have any confidence in this kit before I knew Gary Kerr was coming on board. Now I can't wait.

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
I was thinking/hoping they were much further along the process than this. However, I am still glad and grateful they are 'doing' it.

But, as they are only seeking funds to prototype it now, that doesn't mean they won't scrap the entire project if it looks too expensive. Once they ok and pay for the tooling, that's the point at which we can be relieved. They were far along the 350 KTinga before PL dropped that, afterall.

In as much anticipation as I sit waiting for this model, until it's in one's hands, it may as well not exist at all. But jeez I'm happy to read that!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Is there a chance that Round 2 will put together an ortho of the 1/350 TOS Enterprise from Gary Kerr's drawings?

Of course it would not be available until the model details have been finalized and the model is in production.

·
Banned
3,134 Posts

Ummm. I don't even know how to respond to this.

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
As far as I'm concerned, they can spend whatever they need to develop the kit. They'll make it back in sales. I'll see to that!

·
Registered
848 Posts

The fabricators in China work from jpegs that are emailed to them, not from large sheets of blueprints. You have to break the plans into small, bite-size chunks (annotated to the hilt with dimensions) that can be printed, scanned, and emailed. You need separate plans for each version of the ship, plus I'm going into extreme detail. For example, I've got a separate plan of the ridges in a cross-section of the rear nacelle vents.

Giving all possible details & dimensions to the Chinese eliminates guesswork and reduces the number of corrections & test shots. Not a waste of time and money.

Gary

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
someone get to work on a 350th scale metal deflector dish!

1 - 20 of 167 Posts