Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may have been living under a rock for some time so excuse me if this question sounds stupid or anything but has anyone found the missing 3 foot filming model of the TOS Enterprise or not? I'm hearing it has become such a coveted item to find that someone has hired Lara Croft to look for it.LOL!

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
From my understanding, and I could be wrong, it has been missing for a long time. One rumour is that the Roddenberry's leant it to a friend and it was never returned. I don't know how much truth is behind that though.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I wonder if the "lent it to a friend" story was to keep Paramount from demanding its return. Roddenberry may not have had the legal rights to own it.

And seeing how Paramount is selling everything Im sure they would have wanted it back.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
One rumour is that Paul Allen has it along with the TOS Romulan BOP. Having been to the Science Fiction Museum I can believe it! The museum is mostly his colection.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can image if someone was in possession of the model, they would probably sell it to the highest bidder. It is such a priceless piece of Sci-Fi and TV history. Someone could shell out big moolah for it.

·
Registered
716 Posts
spe130 said:
Except for the major legal battle between whoever has it, Gene's family, and ParaBorg if it ever surfaces...

That is why I think we will not see it anytime soon.
If it resurfaces. Paramount will demand it's return, saying Roddenberry never had rights to own it. That it is effectively stolen.
I bet whoever has it knows this, or at least fears this.
Any lawyers here?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Well, Paramount gave the 34 inch model to Roddenberry when he returned to the studio to do STMP. He kept in his office on display and undoubtedly took it home later. If Paramount was so concerned about it, they should not have given it to him in the first place. Wherever it is now, it got there through Roddenberry.

·
Registered
716 Posts
It would be intersting to know if paperwork existed proving it indeed a gift or if it was simply a loan. I doubt Paramount cared about it at the time, but now it is worth much more.
I wonder how it would play out in court if there is no paperwork on it.
Paramount could make any claim now, regardless of what they said then if no records exist. What is that old expression? Possession is 9/10ths of the law.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Whoever borrowed it might not have it anymore. I might even be landfill. A lot of this these type of things are not taken care of as reverently as we would--for example, a couple of years ago a rare screenused Stormtrooper helmet from Star Wars turned up, but, sadly, it was in terrible condition. Why?

The owner had let his kids play with it.

The 3-footer may have had the same fate as all of those AMT models we all played with as kids as if they were toys, broken nacelles and all.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
X15-A2 said:
Well, Paramount gave the 34 inch model to Roddenberry when he returned to the studio to do STMP. He kept in his office on display and undoubtedly took it home later. If Paramount was so concerned about it, they should not have given it to him in the first place. Wherever it is now, it got there through Roddenberry.
I thought they gave it to him when TOS ended.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
It was presented to him when he returned to Paramount. There would have been no agreement or paperwork of any kind, it is a question though who exactly would have given it to him in the first place. That model would have been kept in the SFX Dept lockup (I been in it...) and would have been basically out of sight/out of mind. I could imagine one of the upper-level execs calling the department manager and asking "hey, do we have any "Trek" stuff that would make a good display?" and then recieving a call back with a list of possible items. The model would have stood out as an obvious choice so it was pulled out and taken to the front office whereupon it was then presented to GR as a "welcome back" gift. I doubt seriously that anyone thought much about where it would go from there and GR would have quite reasonably have then seen it as his to do with what he wanted.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up smashed in an earthquake or burned up in a wild fire. If it was out there, it would have surfaced by now.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
I would hope that nothing bad happened to it and that it's adorning someone's Trek display, or worst case scenario gathering dust in a garage or attic. Regardless, I hope we one day get information on it, as well as the RBoP. It'd be great to have those fan mysteries resolved.

·
Registered
1 Posts
As a Johnny comes extremely lately, this is what the late Majel Roddenbery had to say about it in a response to McCullars now defunct IDIC-page, July 10th, 1997:

"That particular ship was a real model and it was Gene's - he loaned it to someone and Gene forgot to get it back and it was never returned. It's a shame because it's a piece of stolen property and since it has historical value - it is quite priceless."

And as far as the "Constitution"-class studio models are concerned, you might want to check this one out:

memory-alpha.org/wiki/Constitution_class_model (add "http/" in front)

(Granted mine for 95% but I'm kinda proud of this one)

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
May as well chime in with my favorite version of the *true* story:

It was given to Gene who took it home at one point to show it to his adolescent boy Rod (aka Gene Jr.) who by all reports unceremoniously jumped into the family swimming pool with the model thereby destroying it. Majel's story about it being "loaned to a friend who never returned it" is viewed by some as a cover up for this very embarrassing moment in Trek history.

Take it for what it is. I read it on the internet so it must be ...

Regards,
MattL

·
Registered
13 Posts
My own story on this was when I worked at Merrill Lynch in the late 1980's. The fellow that I worked for said that his friend's son in Rockville Centre owned it.

He knew the last name Thiess, without being prompted. Whether there's any truth to that I can't say.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts