Hobbyist Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 478 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Chuck_P.R. said:
Here is that pic I was talking about earlier...
Note the "wide screen" aspect ratio of that gray block. It is even less likely that was intended to coincide with the viewscreen since the main viewscreen was much closer to old-style TV proportions.

I don't think there is any connection.

Mark

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
^^^If you insist, Captain A...
eh, I mean MGagen...

Just kidding!!!
Wanted to see if I could turn that Avatar a little redder then it is now! :)

BTWay, any hide or hair of Phil to be seen lately?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Trek Ace said:
I just figgered it was a large floodlight to light up the name and registry number on the top of the saucer.
I like this idea! Perhaps Warped9 could add such a concept to his "never seen TOS scenes" work.

Paul

·
Registered
867 Posts
Chuck_P.R. said:
^^^If you insist, Captain A...
eh, I mean MGagen...

Just kidding!!!
Wanted to see if I could turn that Avatar a little redder then it is now! :)
:lol: You should see my avatar over at TrekBBS:

Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to upload it as an avatar here, so I use the Mozilla one.

Mark

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
uss_columbia said:
In Requiem, I do get the impression that Kirk is trying to peer inside his ship, into the bridge. This is ridiculous considering how well established it is that the viewscreen is NOT a window. Perhaps Kirk was peering into those two little "windows" on the deck 2/3 area (which FJ labels as the torpedo tubes). Of course, it's been a long time since I watched Requiem. I'll have to dig out the video and have a look.

Paul
While I think WE all undrstand that the front viewer is not a window, the IMPRESSION is definatly Kirk is looking into the bridge (there is definatly the reverse of the viewscreen shot with his face on it to his POV of the crew on the bridge frozen in time) and that possibly the director of that episode kind of skipped over some of the tech rules wanting the audience to know that the ship on the table was the 'starship'. The way to do that being Kirk looking in and seeing crew. The most logical:freak: and reconizable place to have kirk look in being the bridge.

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
It would seem that Kirk was actually looking through the transparent top dome into the bridge, but the angle shown from inside makes it look like he's staring through what had long been established as a one-way viewing screen.

Maybe a crane rental for a high-angle shot was out of the budgetary range for that show.

·
Starship Class
11,878 Posts
^^Cool! How big does the ship have to be in order to support this?

·
Registered
867 Posts
That's Captain April's attempt to have a forward facing bridge. Here's his latest version with an overlay of the actual Desilu set drawing and the proper dome size indicated. I have added a critique which calls out the problems with the drawing as he has rendered it. (From a thread over at TrekBBS Art Forum).

Mark

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
^^^ Okay, so I have to ask the same question that Perfessor Coffee has, if it were drawn properly(I know there are problems), how big would the ship have to be?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Being the person who, I believe, was the first to suggest (in CRA's thread anyway) translating the bridge forward here are a couple of images the demonstrate the spirit of the two methods in the larger context of the first few decks:

Rotated and sunk down.

Rotated and translated forward with a larger dome (now in truth to fit the equipment that's behind the screens and walls the dome would have to be made bigger than what you see here but you get the idea).

And let's not forget the "original".

·
Registered
583 Posts
MGagen said:
That's Captain April's attempt to have a forward facing bridge. Here's his latest version with an overlay of the actual Desilu set drawing and the proper dome size indicated. I have added a critique which calls out the problems with the drawing as he has rendered it. (From a thread over at TrekBBS Art Forum).

Mark

Pretty much nails him down... This is why I think it's time to let go of this idea, and accept the reality that the bridge - for whatever reason - doesn't face forward as we would like it to.

If he wants to completely redesign the ship - that's fine, but his version is NOT the true Starship Enterprise no matter how he tries to justify it...

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
^^^ Perhaps, Starcruiser.

But if everything WERE drawn correctly, then shrunk.
How big would the ship have to be?

Those are some really nice renders, Four Mad Men.
For symmetry(and perhaps for an emergency exit in the TOS era) how about one with the two side angled protrusions, ala' the motion picture?

·
Starship Class
11,878 Posts
Captain April said:
And I thought the major fight was going to be over the arrangement of Engineering... :rolleyes:
That can be accommodated as well, I'm sure! :devil:

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Captain April said:
And I thought the major fight was going to be over the arrangement of Engineering... :rolleyes:
No fight.

As long as everybody clearly discusses their positions, there's no need for anyone to consider it a fight.

There are several ways to address the bridge issue, I'd just like to understand them all as well as possible before deciding which one I like best.

After all, there is no right or wrong answer here. There are lots of variables and ways to solve the on-screen inconsistencies. It's up to everyone to decide for themselves which one makes the most sense to them.

P.S. On the engineering issue, is there some dispute over this? :devil:

41 - 60 of 478 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.