here had the story on them.

I heard they may have only been given to employs in

gift sets. Can anybody confirm this or know if they were

offered to the general public in Bp's.

Thanks

·
Registered
674 Posts
I don't know anymore than what was said on the other board, but this one looks to be in really nice shape. It's got all of its exhaust pipes!

·
Registered
779 Posts
I've read just about everything that was ever printed on the history of topper and these cars and never heard or saw anything about employees getting them.
It was said that ALL models including the brown dragster were sold in blisterpacks.

The problem is that the johnny lightning brand under topper was very hastily put together to compete with mattel and hot wheels and was a very short venture that ended far too soon.

The early mirror finish cars and the mirror finish cars with opening doors are the only ones that I know of that are rare and very expensive.

Only Harry Orenstein can answer the question withh 100% accuracy, everything else is just speculation.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi McRooster,

Thanks for speaking up.

I've only been working on a Topper collection for just a couple of years now and am always interested in what info and insight others might have to share about them.

I definitely can't disagree with your statements, because I just don't know.

There definitely is a lot of speculation out there and it seems the best I can do on some things is try to put all the pieces together to come up with a story.

One thing I've read was that only three or four 69 castings came in a shade of brown. The ones I've seen were the Eldorado in Bp, 32 Roadster and Dragster loose.

It would be nice if somebody out there with a brown Dragster in Bp or another brown car, were to share a pic.

Maybe if you are able to, you can guide me to some of this written material your talking about.

Thanks

Jim

·
Registered
916 Posts
Many of the non-standard paint versions were giveaway cars in cereal boxes. I don't know for sure about the dragster, but it is a possibility. It is rare to see a '69 dragster still with its canopy AND pipes not broken off (someone took care of this car). I've found over the years there were no absolute standards when it comes to the Topper cars.

Jack

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi PW...... :wave:

Thanks for the pic, Very nice Twin Dragster.

I'm going to stir the pot a little bit and say we

don't have a match in color. Like many of the Topper

colors which can be tough to id. My little dragster is

dead on brown and dare I say almost enamel like.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Enamel like? Maybe after 40 years it may look that way but they were lacquer.
I believe Mattel used enamel though after the spectraflame era, and does anyone know what Topper called their paint on their mirror finish cars?

Quality control left much to be desired back then, paint wasn't always applied in the same viscosity. Sometimes it was put on heavy, other times with thin lighter coats.
Just like Mattel, paint lines weren't completely cleaned out after running a color and that produced different shades and some different colors.

There is far more known about HW's and much of that is speculation.
Trying to find out the same things about Toppers short lived 3 years is going to be a difficult task and will be heavy on the speculation as well.
Good luck, it should be interesting.

·
Stagger, stagger, crawl.
2,945 Posts
I have to agree with you Jim. That dragster is not brown but orange Pocketwocket. Very nice car nonetheless. I obtained a brown dragster from Lightning Wheels a few years ago and there is no mistaking it for any other color, just like the brown Eldo's.

Enamel like? Maybe after 40 years it may look that way but they were lacquer.
I believe Mattel used enamel though after the spectraflame era, and does anyone know what Topper called their paint on their mirror finish cars?

Topper didn't "paint" their mirror cars. It was more of a foil product. I don't know how it was applied but maybe some other board member does and can enlighten us all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts