Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have to replace the top oil seal in my 12hp i/c and i was wonderin if there is anyways without special tools to remove the old seal without damaging thing,, and another question is, is there anyway to remove the crank without takin the piston and rod right out of the block. thanks

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Yes, you can remove the crankshaft out of the block without removing the piston and rod, I do it all the time. Once you remove the rod cap from the rod, push the piston all the way up into the cylinder as far as it will go, then rotate the crank journal down and work the crankshaft out. You will have to remove the balancer weights.

You can pull out the top seal without any special tools, an awl or pick even a small screw driver and you can pry it out, however you will need a new one. It would be very difficult if not impossible to remove a seal without some damage.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when you say push the piston all the way into the cylinder do you mean towards the spark plug cause thats the only way I would guess it would work,, thanks for the reply

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Thats what I mean, by the way take the plug out it will be much easier that way. :p

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya im gonna take the head off anyways and clean it up some then put a new gasket on that along with a new base gasket and 2 new seals,, thanks for the reply

1 - 5 of 5 Posts