Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a tool or maybe a dremel attachment to help sand in spaces you can't really get to with sandpaper? I'm thinking a flap wheel or a rotary brush of sorts that if you ran it across where you've sanded, you'd not damage or wear down the detail but only sand the putty. Of course, it would have to be the putty that's "granular" (I guess) or that which consists not of epoxy. Basically, something that's softer than the plastic.

For example, if one wanted to putty the Enterprise-D, there's a lot of detail on the model that if you puttied (even when masking and puttying), you'd have to sand smooth the putty risking the detail on the surface.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
I use a Flex I File... its a thin sanding strip in a metal frame. Its good for sanding both curved surfaces and also to work up inside tight places. I wouldn't use a Dremel disc on plastic myself... would melt it too easily.

http://www.flex-i-file.com/index.html

This was great on my big Power Girl resin figure which had large seams around her torso under the arms, which were molded to the torso...

Some fillers take less work. Tamiya Liquid Surface Primer can be brushed into a seam, and then wiped off the outside. To remove it, use Tamiya's new plastic safe lacquer thinner or Mr. Color thinner. Vallejo also has an acrylic (water soluable) putty.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I did something like what was described in the OP for my "Bride" glassware. If I recall, I used a battery powered Dremel mini and some kind of jeweler's rouge on a cotton buffer. The mini Dremel has a much lowest speed than a full size Dremel; using a full size it would have melted the plastic.

Of course, one of the reasons it worked was because I wanted the plastic to smooth out as well as the seam. It would have buffed away any texture on the plastic.

-Neil

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
actually, I didn't do that bad when I puttied the seam of the Enterprise-E's saucer. I thought it would look all ripped up after sanding and filing the excess out of the panels but I just primed it and there's only a little seam left and no tool marks.

Love it when a plan comes together!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts