Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got your standard briggs 5hp L head. What happens if you run the motor with too much oil?

I noticed oil everywhere under the recoil housing after I recently added oil. I realized I overfilled it. Engine runs fine.

·
Registered
750 Posts
i have that problem too, but i cant igure out why. the oil caps may not be tight enough, or there may be a leak or crack in the block. try to not overill it see what happens, or measure how much oil is needed. good luck!

PS my "F" key isnt working well

·
Registered
272 Posts
Drain excess oil for engine to proper oil level and run engine to see if it is still leaking oil.
I am assuming this is 5hp horizontal. When you over filled it, oil was probably pushed through the crankshaft seals. Worst case you may have to replace crankshaft seals if still leaking.

oscaryu1: What are you talking about? :confused:

Somethings are best unsaid

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Air Filter

Check your air filter element, if unit was overfilled there is a good chance the air filter is full of oil, will choke down engine and cause a lot of coughing and sputtering.

Be sure to drain the engine down to the proper level, when the oil splasher is completely submerged in the crankcase it does not distribute the oil, so even though you have more then enough oil you can still have damage to the top bearings from lack of lubrication...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts