Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend, I had the opportunity to run a race in which an SRT, a Turbo, and two SG+'s ran against each other. I had a SG+, and at first, I was concerned that I would have an unfair advantage, but during practice, it became apparent that the cars were pretty evenly matched. This totally changed my perception of these chassis. I was under the impression that the SG+ had more of everything: top speed, acceleration, downforce, and grip. We found that the SRT & Turbo had a bit more top speed, the SG+'s had a bit more acceleration and braking (with no brakes connected). The class rule required stock wheels, which limited the SG+'s to the stock hard rubber tires. The SRT and Turbo had aftermarket slip-ons which seemed to equal out the grip. On a tight course, I think the SG+ would likely have had more of an advantage, but the course rewarded top speed pretty well.

Another big surprise was motor heat. After, say, 20 laps or so, the SRT & Turbo were barely warm, while the SG+'s were almost too hot to touch.

My suspicion is that this unexpected parity in speed (and high motor temps) could be due to the track power, which was standard AFX power packs (1 per lane). I've read that these can cause excessive motor temps, but I've never seen any actual data verifying this. It didn't seem to bother the SRT & Turbo. Due to the high temps on the SG+ motors, it's obvious that they were drawing more currentl Given the unregulated nature of the power packs, I could see how the extra current on the SG+ motors (from the additional downforce) could pull down the voltage on the power pack, thus reducing top speed.

If my suspicion is right, then this is an interesting way to equalize the chassis.

If not, then my previous understandings regarding the differences between these chassis was just wrong, OR there's something wrong with my SG+. Which is it?

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
1> did the SG+ have the black or gray traction mags?
2> temp, an arm at 120 degrees will feel hot, but in reality, it not an issue. I get concerned when it starts hitting 160+

I run my SG+ at about .432 on the rear tires. you guys should be able to just use a turbo axle! then it will dominate :thumbsup:

also try up'ing the shoe tension on the driver side. or throw a turbo arm in the car!

·
Geico ad . . . Offensive?
6,708 Posts
Back in brewtown we've run hour-long and 2.4-hour long endurance races with the SG+ LeMans cars and not encountered excessive motor temps, so perhaps your conclusion on the wall-wart power is correct.

In the long races like we ran I'd expect anything with high temps to gradually get slower & slower or eventually let the smoke out of the motor altogether.

And the cars were pulling the rails hard -- .225 rims with PVT-02s, stock otherwise.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1> did the SG+ have the black or gray traction mags?
Don't know the color, but I have both, and I used the stronger ones.

2> temp, an arm at 120 degrees will feel hot, but in reality, it not an issue. I get concerned when it starts hitting 160+
Gotta put my IR thermometer back in my box. Been running t-jets lately which never get close to hot.

I run my SG+ at about .432 on the rear tires. you guys should be able to just use a turbo axle! then it will dominate :thumbsup:
The idea is not to have one chassis dominate. Using sponge/silicones would be an easy to make the SRT's sitting ducks.

also try up'ing the shoe tension on the driver side. or throw a turbo arm in the car!
What's the diff in the arms? I didn't even know you could get a Turbo arm. I thought the Turbo motor was available only as a complete motor.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Back in brewtown we've run hour-long and 2.4-hour long endurance races with the SG+ LeMans cars and not encountered excessive motor temps, so perhaps your conclusion on the wall-wart power is correct.
We were running LeMans bodies, too. My conclusion about the wall-wart power MAY be correct, but why didn't it bother the Turbos?

In the long races like we ran I'd expect anything with high temps to gradually get slower & slower or eventually let the smoke out of the motor altogether.
I'm glad the heats were VERY short.

And the cars were pulling the rails hard -- .225 rims with PVT-02s, stock otherwise.
That seems to implicate the wall-wart. My stock, hard rubber tires should have presented less of a load to the track power.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Using stock wheels AND tires for the SG+ and SRT but allowing a different tire for the Turbo would balance things pretty well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts