Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was advertised a few months ago that they were releasing a lap counting system. I saw a picture of it. Looks like a grandstand. Has buttons,lights, and a display on it. Supposed to be somewhat all inclusive. Counts laps, lap times, position. Anyone ever heard of it? Seen it? Have it? I want to get it but cant find it? Thanks!

·
Banned
2,472 Posts
That is the old unit.

A new one is being released, but like most of their other releases, has been pushed back after a tumultuous 2009 (not of their own making).

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hey Jerzferno I have two of those old units. One only works until it gets warm. I live in Northern NJ if you would like to see it in person.

Dave

·
Banned
2,472 Posts
That only counts, not times.

I would suggest go the PC route or get a zip zap timer for now and wait for the new Tomy unit.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Montoya - Whats the easiest, most reliable, and cost effective PC system to use? It would be for a 4 lane track. I have an old PC thats been updated so it should be fine for the software. I wanted to go that route, but was leary about it. Its new territory for me.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Jerzferno I have two of those old units. One only works until it gets warm. I live in Northern NJ if you would like to see it in person.

Dave
Thanks for the offer. I think Im going to get up enough nerve and try a PC based scoring system.

One last question, Do any of these systems come turn key? I dont have the know how to go to Radio Shack and buy lights/relays/cables/connectors etc.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Do any of these systems come turn key?
TrackMate comes closest. You still have to mount the sensors (and optionally the light bridge if going with an IR setup), wire the track power relay to your power supply and interface board, and optionally wire the track call button(s) to the interface board. I think it is easy to set up. The hardest part for me on my current track was getting the IR sensors mounted since I installed it after my track was mounted to the table and buried in scenery. Even then it was straightforward and worked perfectly the first time.

If you are going to run real races the track power relay is a must. The track call button feature is optional since you can still do it from the keyboard without external push buttons.

I cannot overstate how much having a good race management system adds to the overall enjoyment of your track. It definitely takes it to the next level and reinforces the enjoyment that you get from your hobby investment. If your race management system is a source of frustration, dump it and get a good system like TrackMate. I'm building a second track and which race management system to use is not even something I think about. It's going to be TrackMate.

·
Banned
2,472 Posts
I love being able to use Trakmate to tell the drivers their gaps to the car in front/behind.

Some crumble, some man up, and oftens times its a suprise who does which! And that is just one of the nice features.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Another Vote for TrackMate!

I prefer trackmate.
I took TrackMate out of the box, installed the LED Sensors in the track, placed the light bridge, wired-up the relay and track call button and started counting laps :)

No trips to the store, no hours of adjusting...it just works :thumbsup:

Bob B.

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
I have to admit...

Getting past the price on Track Mate was tough...
But I am glad I did.
I had played with a few of the free lap timers and counters.
One would count on red, white and blue. But not yellow.
Another program would count white, blue and yellow. But not red.
Hmmm. This was using the same computer and the same sensors.
Bought Track Mate. Hooked it up using the same computer.
Everything works fine......
So it was worth the money for me.

Scott

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys. Trackmate it is. Ill be posting agin if I run into problems. Mechanics is my forte. Electronics..............................eeeeeehhhh.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have two trackmate systems (one 4 lane and one 6 lane) I must say that they work very well for club racing. Easy to set up and simple to work with.

I had an issue once with the wiring (previous track owner cut the light cable from the sensors so I had to rewire) and sent them a detialed email and theye replied with exact repairs and cable "pinout" in less than an hour. Cust service is great and the board works well.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

Dan

1 - 20 of 26 Posts