Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you know, I truly enjoy collection authentic racing replicas and sharing thier history. I hope you will enjoy my latest addition. I picked this little gem up from Ebay recently and am very pleased to share it with you.

This TOMICA Pocket Car casting (No. F-36, S=1/59, Made in Japan) is over 30 years old and still looks wonderful, and you all know how hard that is for a black toy car!

This version represents one of the 4 JPS Mk III 78's built by Lotus between 1977 and 1978. The number 5, as shown here was the primary ride of Mario Andretti for the 1977 F1 World Championship. Though he was the winningest driver for that season, he finished third overall. While Colin Chapman was rewarded with second place for the Constructors Championship. Both would return for overall titles in 1978.

This Ford / Cosworth powered rocket marks the first of the modern era ground effects cars. Among the many advanced designs featured in the 78's construction was side skirts mounted below the side pods. These skirts allowed a negative pressure to develop under the car, which literally sucked it to the racing surface. Tomica even captured that small feature in this diecast version!

A wonderful little casting of a remarkable racing machine! I find it so peculiar (by today's standards) that this toy carried the authentic tobacco livery of John Player. A reminder of days past for sure! Thanks for the read and enjoy.

Ward

·
Registered
896 Posts
Sweet..I still have that one, and the later Marlboro McLaren from my childhood. I was an avid F1 fan from about '77 through '94, picked back up my interest in the last couple of years...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts