Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PlaysW/cars said:
I'm loving that Corolla! Nice-nice-nice!!

This is one I'd like to share. Found it at a local antique store about six months ago. It's in amazing shape, and makes a great addition to my collection.
That one is a nice one! I've never seen it before; I love the tampos on it.

· Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BluntFronts said:
Those are wonderful models. I'm not familiar with Tomicas; I don't think they were sold in this area when they were new. They certainly have impressive realism and color choices. All are highly desirable, I'd say. Thanks for your great photos.

I really like the Citroen SM and the Olds Toronado XSR (one of GM's most bizarre production cars ever; I've actually seen a few 1/1s of it.) The Gloria "Van" is a true charmer, and I'm going to have to start haunting the flea markets and the 'bay for that Celica.

What is the very first 1/66 red car at the top? It looks vaguely familiar to me - is it a Nissan Cedric?
Certain models from Tomica were sold in the US only for a bit under their 'Pocket Cars' line, the 70's and early 80's, but Tomica abandonned the US market.

You will probably have luck hunting down the Celica, as it was sold under the 'Pocket Cars' line. The Gloria Van was also sold under the Pocket Cars line, and was available in blue with red interior. The top car however is quite rare; it's a Toyota Century produced in 1972. I don't believe it was ever sold in America, and was only available in Japan under their main 'black box' line; the colors I've seen it in are red, silver, black, and a peach color.

· Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
robertwadehall said:
I love Tomicas...I have probably 250 or so...a bunch from childhood in the '70s, and lots that I've bought new over the last five years from Japanese and Hong Kong web retailers. I still found old stock occasionally in a small-town Ohio Tru Value hardware store into the early '90s..
Lets see some pics!!! :)

· Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
PENSNO1 said:
A couple Corona MK IIs
Those are insanely hard to come by, especially the yellow one with those type of wheels; I wish I had one! I only have the anniversary one worth about 6 dollars :D ; still an awesome car though. If you have any more tomicas with those type of wheels, I would very much so like to see them! Heck, any pic of any car will do :wave:

· Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Here are some more; these are the only other pics I have handy:

Anniversary Mazda Cosmo AP Limited

Toyota Sprinter Carib

Anniversary Isuzu 117 Coupe 1800XE

Anniversary Toyota Celica LB2000GT

Anniversary Toyota Crown MS60

Anniversary Mazda Cosmo L Coupe

· Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
PENSNO1 said:
Yea, I've been told that the yellow Corona MK II is very very rare! I lucked into getting it by buying a LOT of different cars on e-bay. That is the only car I have with Tomica's first type wheels.
That's awesome getting that car in a LOT! I would have freaked when I saw it. There is one on the Japan auction site and it's up to $720 right now.

I love those cars in those pics as well; I have the yellow Savanna, the orange Cherry, & the orange Honda with their box somewhere. I need to dig everything up and snap some more pics. I love the Sprinter & Corona 1700; those are hard to find as well; I'm hoping to find them with their box someday. That Civic Country & Nissan Sunny are sweet too.

· Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
PENSNO1 said:
I did freak when I saw the wheels! I thought it would be one of the first Hong Kong (in lieu of Japan) castings. It isn't though. Wow, $720? The lot I bought with that in it was under $20 !! :thumbsup:

Could you send me or add the link here to that Japan auction site?

I don't have that many with boxes. I haven't been too concerned with collecting the boxes with the car. But, if I do get the box too it's a bonus.

Some more of my collection
I must say that I am a cardboard collector. I have to have the box when I buy a Tomica, I love the colors & the car art, especially on the black boxes.

Sweet Fairladys, I've been looking for the brown one myself as well as the Silver Toyota 2000GT. I have that Celica too, one of my favorites, especially in green.

Yahoo Japan Auctions is a great place for pics, I love looking there just to see what is out there; sadly, 99.9% of the sellers will not ship to the US or internationally, though I have gotten lucky on there a couple times. Here is the link:

http://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/

I would post a link to the Yellow Corona to show you how much people were paying for it, but it has already ended (I don't know how to check completed listings on there); it probably ended up going higher than $720.

· Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
PENSNO1 said:
Thanks for the link.

Very cool to see what's out there and what they are going for. I assume that the price is in Yen right? To convert to US dollars, you divide by 118.33 I think. I wish I could read what the auctions say.

I like the boxes too. I just don't like to pay the extra for them since it's the car that really want.

Show me more of your collection when you can.
Yes, the price is in Yen; I usually divide by 117.00, as that's the round about exchange rate. You can use a translator to find out what the listings are about, but they are still hard to follow. Here is the link to the translator I use:

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

It's really easy to use, and it lets you know, kind of, what the auction is all about. As for the Yahoo Japan Auction site, make sure you type in 'Tomica' in the japanese form, and not the american form. If you type in 'Tomica' you will only get about 15 pages worth of results, but if you type in トミカ you will get about 600 pages of results.

I will try and take more pics of my collection soon and post pics. :wave:

· Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Here are some more pics; some of them are from earlier, but with their box. I will take more later when I have a chance:

Mitsubishi Starion

Mazda RX-7

Tomica - Nissan Bluebird 1800 Turbo SSS-XG

Tomica - Nissan Bluebird SSS 510

Nissan Cedric 280E Brougham

· Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
PENSNO1 said:
Very cool! Thanks for that translator.

How do you type "ooo" ? (that's all I see)

Great pictures. Are those all made in Japan or China castings. Either way they are real nice!

Thanks
Rick
Two of them are Anniversary cars made in China; the orange Fairlady & white Corona. The rest are made in Japan.

The reason it displays 'ooo' on your computer is because it does not have the proper files to read Japanese. try copying and pasting the 'ooo' into the Yahoo Japan search box and see what happens; you might get lucky and your computer will still read it as 'Tomica,' and it will display the results. If it does not work; then you need to get the files that will enable your computer to read japanese. Hopefully the first option will work for you. LMK :thumbsup:

· Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
ranchero said:
How did a discussion about Tomica end up on a board titled "European Diecast"? Those Tomicas are absolutely beautiful and are to be treasured but an easy check of an atlas will confirm that Japan is not in Europe. - ranchero -
This board has become quite popular with anything foreign in particular; Kyosho, Tomica/Tomy, Yatming, CM's, etc. Don't worry, we are well aware that Japan isn't in Europe :D

· Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
ranchero said:
Roadster99 - No toy cars are from Europe anymore! It's all Asian. Well, maybe, just maybe, some stuff comes from Europe. Maybe some Siku & some Bruder (but Bruder is plastic - not diecast). European stuff is old - from when they could afford the labor to make toys in Europe. European toys are Gama, Schabak, JRD, CIJ, Quiralu, Pilen, Metosul and Norev when it was made in France not China. Maybe Hobby Talk needs a "Japanese" or "Asian" or probably a "Chinese" board. But those beautiful Tomicas have absolutely no relationship to Europe other than that they've been sold there. - ranchero -
If we had a Chinese/Asian Board, that pretty much sums up every brand possible, because like you said, no one wants to pay production costs in their own country. A lot of members here at Hobbytalk post all their Japanese items on this board. Besides, if the mod, Henri Kroeze, posts up Japanese items on the board he oversees, I don't see why it would be a problem for anyone else; to each his own.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.