Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this HW's THOMASSINA III at a flea market yesterday. Oddly I've never had one and not really familiar with it. Looked on the bottom to see embossed into the plastic chassis (nice detail there btw.) DESIGNED by TOM MEADE. Never noticed a designer credit before on a HWs.. Made me wonder how he rated that. Found out Meade was a private auto designer. Great gig if you can get it and not lose your butt. By what little I've read so far he was colorful, independent and not afraid to take a risk. Roth and Barris did the same thing but I don't think any are credited on the chassis of their diecasts.

Anyway I'm thinking about replicating the 1:1 THOMASSIMA III out of this beater unless I hear a good monetary reason I shouldn't.

Wheel Vehicle Car Tire Hood

·
Administrator
37,402 Posts
You and I may be the only ones who have ever noticed the Thomassima III. There was a I and II as well and his son was working on a IV out in California. IIRC there was a blue III here in the DFW area for awhile before it was put up for sale.

Fandom has a nice summary of his history but digging deeper in the net has more details. I believe I have all 7 HWs versions - 4 colors and the 4 tampo variations of the red one for a total of 7 castings both carded and loose now.

Reactions: samace22

·
Premium Member
9,821 Posts
Nice find congrats.👍 I have this one in my hot wheels collection.👍

·
Administrator
37,402 Posts
@250tr also made this post awhile back about a II he found in Dallas

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Good eye noticing the base. I must have overlooked that when I picked these up over the years.
A nice casting that never seemed to get a fair shake.

·
Administrator
37,402 Posts
As to the base I think there is a Red Line with the designer name on it but I will have to think about it more (look it up again). The only other ones I know of are that Phil Rhielman was always sneaking his initials into the base details. Sometime they were obvious and others are more abstract.

·
Administrator
37,402 Posts
The Redline I was thinking of was the Beatnik Bandit which has both Ed Roth and Revell. I had forgotten about the Revell name. Anyone remembered others? Pretty sure Revell is the only other brand name reference ever used on a base plate.

1968 Hot Wheels (6217) Beatnik Bandit
by Milton Fox, on Flickr

1 - 8 of 8 Posts