Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started a new project today. Bad Medicine by Tom Daniel/Monogram.

I was debating what to do next, cleaning up a few parts and scouting for others to do a nice 70 Chevelle. I really have too much other stuff to do though, so I believe another simple showrod will be just the ticket.

I was surprised how much of the body was one piece. I've glued a piece of the floor in. Then there's the roof which is just set in place at the moment and that's it. Got some mold lines to clean up and a little bit of flash on the chrome tree but looks like a quick build.

Not much to see yet so I'd better get back to it.

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
One of my all time favourite TD kits!
Is this the latest issue? It's not in Australia yet.

Chris.:)

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, this is the latest issue. Seems to be showing up on ebay now. It must have just gotten to my LHS. I see that Revell has announced the Vandal for release this year. Yay!

Stangfreak, thanks. Made some good headway last night.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I had a bunch of Tom Daniel's models when I was a kid and this was one of my favorites. I just got this the other day at the hobby shop in Wabash, IN. and I am going to build this thing absolutely box stock. I would like to paint it this time, didn't do that when I had it as a kid. Heck, I didn't paint much of anything until I was in my teens, lol. Testor's Lacquer, Revving Red would look good on it over a gray primer, I'm thinkin'. Panther Pink in the same line of paints might be a close match to the box art though. Keep us posted Rondo!

I'm looking forward to that Vandal coming back out too! I love the Tom Daniel designed stuff. Here is a link to his website: http://www.tomdaniel.com/85_kits/frm_85kits.html

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I had a lot of TD kits too but now I realize how many I didn't have.

The pink One Coat Lacquer is about the only color I don't have on hand. Didn't think I'd ever use it, but like you, I thought of it when this kit came out. A lot of guys go with a purple. Still undecided....

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Dom but that is the bare plastic! It IS some pretty good looking plastic. Could be cleared and look nice. There's another option for the list. :)

Russell, black sounds like it would really fit the sinister mood of this car. Please show us yours if possible! Either or both.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Testor's Lacquer Panther Pink over white primer on the left, unpainted sprue in the center and Testor's Lacquer Panther Pink over bare sprue on the right.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the paint test, Charger. Looks pretty good. Don't know if the LHS will have the MM lacquer line. They have the One Coat line which includes Electric Pink. Actually looks pretty similar.

I sprayed my engine block with Valspar orange enamel last night. It was OK but needed some zing. I sprayed One Coat Fiery Orange over the enamel in 2medium coats with no apparent interaction. These "lacquers" seem to be pretty mild that way. :thumbsup:

·
Curmudgeon
6,614 Posts
I'd have to say this is my favorite Bad Medicine build-up (of those I've seen so far, that is). It's been modified somewhat but, in my opinion, it still has the "feel" of Tom Daniel's design.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is some great work. The Showrods gallery is loaded with it. I had thought about some of those mods (Engine setback, bigger engine, lowering) and about everything he did is an improvement. I kind of like the kit's rear fenders as is though. Mine will stay mostly box stock. First one I've built and all. I may cut the rear coils to lower it slightly. Depends on fender clearance.

This big car could use a bigger engine but ironically, the Chevy small block is pretty nice especially for this genre. Starter and oil filter are molded in (can't be seen after assembly) but the shape and proportions are very good. Even the engine/trans junction is shaped right which is often not the case. This is significant because the area is totally exposed on this kit.

·
Curmudgeon
6,614 Posts
When I finally get around to building mine, at the very least I plan to move the engine rearward to the approximate midline of the wheelbase; it just doesn't look quite right being as far forward as Tom Daniel designed it.

The clearance between the rear tires and fenders is pretty tight, so I think you'd have to remove and relocate the fenders if you were planning to drop the rear end any more than 1/16"-1/8". Or maybe make them "floating" fenders like on the Tijuana Taxi. I like the fenders myself, but I'm not crazy about them being molded onto the body.

As for the Showrods gallery, yeah it's loaded with artistry and talent; I get inspired every time I look through it. I can't say I like every custom job presented there, but I certainly appreciate the vision and the amount of work required to get those kits into their various configurations.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Can't wait to get this one - gonna check my LHS this weekend. Looking forward to your WIP shots - thanks for posting!
Steve

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the interest guys. These kits are a real trip back in time. Glad they went with colored plastic as well. It wouldn't be the same in white.

I spent most of yesterday working on my daughter's 1/1 PT Cruiser. It is back from the dead and I'm back to my Showrod. Progress report to follow.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK, as I said earlier, life took me away from the model this weekend but I did get a little done. Cleaning up parts and the engine is about done. Just mocked up here. The rear wheels fit the tires better than on the Ice T but are very loose on the axle. No biggy. Overall fit is good.

Went to the LHS today and they did have a good bit of MM lacquers which I hadn't noticed before. IMHO, they should make them stand out from the MM enamels more. The One Coat Electric Pink lacquer looked way too light in person so Panther Pink it is. Also got Dark Cherry Pearl which looked awesome in some online pics I've seen.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I've used the dark cherry pearl (as well as the panther pink) myself - they both work very well and look great. In fact, you can see both colors in my garage thread - Genevieve's 2010 Camaro and my Plymouth Prowler.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ahaa! That's where I saw the Dark Cherry. Made a mental note to look for it but when I get to the LHS all such notes disappear. I believe this is a current GM color.

Never thought I'd use pink but it's a perfect match on this car. Was Panther Pink a Mopar color?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts