Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The front axle holes are too big. There's lots of play causing the cars to hop around. Can you make the holes around 1/32" in diameter (or thereabouts)?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does, because the front tires touch the wheel wells, causing a type of braking. When this is done at top speeds, it causes hopping. A thinner hole means less slop, less movement, smoother performance.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Now I understand you. I had that problem when using thes chassis with AFX and JL bodies, but on my AW cars they work great.

Another issue though is that we may go through pick-up shoes faster because there is more pressure on them.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
dlw said:
A thinner hole means less slop, less movement, smoother performance.
Not if the axles are bent or wheels/tires are out of round.

How do you true your front wheels/tires?

I glue the tires to the rims, then push them onto an axle, (smaller holes wheels go in the front axle: I use a rear axle for the bigger holed wheels) then put the wheel/axle assembly into a Dremmel and sand them until I don't feel the high spot anymore, measure the diameter and then try and make the other wheel/tire the same diameter.

This seems to make a big difference in how smoothly the cars run.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Micyou, if I catch a bad rim, I just toss it out.....I figure that trying to true the rim by dremelling until true might make the rim too small for the tires. With Afx rims being plentiful, I just use them.

Untrue tires can be dremelled til smooth. Just place in a rear rim onto the dremel, pop on 2 tires, and grind them until they're smooth.

For bent axles, I heat them until they're red hot, then roll them between two smooth, straight metal surfaces. It does lessen the bend......Just gotta be careful not to touch them, lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts