Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off, no one else seems to know, or be willing to discuss on the webcam thread, so Ill ask you: Whats the dealio with that grey specialty-looking chassis? Is that a new 4-gear, and when will it be released? What bodies is it meant to fit?

Someone suggested in another thread just a wheel package for the T-jets. Have you considered remaking all the classic wheel styles that were on the AFX chassis? Ansen sprints, T/As, stockers, etc varied out on different bodystyles would really add some detail on the production cars, and if you wanted to do a wheel pack, this would be it since it could theoretically work for the T-jets, XT's and the Super III. A pack with a full set of each of those for around the price of a tune up kit would go fast. I for one would LOVE to see the Ansen sprints on that Jeep! Especially with some bigger tires front and rear, just like AFX did on the original CJs, GMC trucks and Blazers. I would suggest something with some visible tread, even if its just on the sidewall; this would complete the look for both the CJ and the Hummer as well as any other trucks you have planned.

Speaking of that jeep, seeing as how you already have some sets planned, I have another idea for you. As a ravenous Jeep fanatic I can tell you that most of us not only love our rigs, but all the merchandise that goes with them. Quadratec and Four Wheel Drive Hardware are the top 2 aftermarket parts/accessories oufits that I use. They each have huge catalogs full of goodies including model and toy Jeeps. Even if you did a simple figure-8 set-- "Jeep CJ Shootout" or something--and made it an exclusive for one of those theyd sell like crazy, especially if you had them ready for X-mas. And offering a 2 pack of the Jeeps themselves would be a hit also, since I cant be the only jeep nut with an existing slot track. If you REALLY want to step up on something like this, maybe bring back the snake track and add in a few plastic boulders and mold the track in brown for a little off road action.

Anyhow just a few thoughts and ideas of mine, hope something helps. And keep the good stuff coming!

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right on, Dragula. And anyone else who would be all over a variety pack of different styled wheels or any other idea that I or anyone else suggests shouldnt remain a silent partner! Tom's just gonna laugh and shake his head unless he has a bunch of people show support. Its gotta be profitable or it aint gonna happen. No matter how good of an idea it is.

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
I'm in, Like Chris I pilfer slot mags any chance I get. Heck I pilfer any old AFX wheel I can get. I buy them direct from Bob @ tubbtrack as well. The dirth of wheel selection is a chronic source of aggravation.

I'm not sure anyones listening though. I think what we want and need are wheels that are lightweight, run true, and in the classic stlyles for starters. I'm afraid if they do anything, it's gonna be the same ole "gumball chrome" wobblers in the new tuner styles.

It's pre-ordained that they will cater to the masses and not the hobby builder.
I'm not gonna hold my breath. For now Vincents, old school AFX, and Accelerator wheels are still the lightest, truest, plastic wheels with half a jigger of styling. HO reproductions are beautiful and true but there's only so much you can do with the available styles.

Still a valid issue Grunge. I'd kill for some Chev ralley wheels, a classic old school keystone like today's torque thruster, a slot dish in more than one flavor, you name it. For now I'll keep butchering and modifying what I can get.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I'd buy packs of wheels if they were available seperately, especially if they were re-pops of the other AFX styles (steel wheel, minilite, etc.).

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Bill, I can attest to the trueness of Vincent wheels.....I ran a set of Vincent "Fuchs" on my bug Saturday....and dang those things ran like they were on the razor's edge.

I love RRR's wheel variety but the recent load of wheels I purchased are so out of round it's not even funny.

Vincent's also produces a Chevy Corvette rally style wheel......

But I do agree, wheel choice is critical.....and this is a market that could easily be handled.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bill, Ive never heard of HO reproductions. Or do you mean Road Race Replicas? Thing is with those and vincents is that its all T-jet stuff. Im after stuff that works for the XTs. Which usually means theyre easy to modify to fit Tomy chassis also. Ive cut down the little shoulders on AFX front mags to fit SRTs and Super G+ for the right look.

I wouldnt write off AW just yet. They seem to have gotten away from the craptastic chrome jobs and when I joined the club, the little survey mentions aluminum wheels. So I say give 'em a chance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts