Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You can please all of the people some of the time.
You can please some of the people all of the time.
But you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Judging from recent posts on this board, the Jupiter 2 seems to have pleased quite a few people. So many threads; so many posts; so many happy campers. Dare I suggest that the J2 might be Moebius's most popular kit thus far? (I'm not referring to sales figures, which are admittedly NOMB, but just the woo-hoo coolness factor of the thing). If not the J2, what kit has Moebius produced that has pleased you most?

How cool it is that a bunch of middle-aged folks are getting mailings from model companies as well as AARP, and are delighted and engaged by what is essentially a new toy. :wave:

·
Registered
199 Posts
The kits that have pleased me the most are as following:

1. Frankenstein
2. The Mummy
3. The Invisible Man
4. Dr Jekyll as Mr Hyde
5. The upcoming Dracula

It is so hard to pick one they all have met or exceeded my expectations.

:freak:

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
How cool it is that a bunch of middle-aged folks are getting mailings from model companies as well as AARP, and are delighted and engaged by what is essentially a new toy. :wave:
It's very cool actually. This is one area where "our generation" most definitely got a better deal than our parents.

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
I had to wait so many years for the kits I craved as a young child, watching these shows and dreaming. In a way I am happier now than if they had been produced back then- I now have the skills and time to do them justice.
Some people claim that producing a kit after the 'sweet spot' (releasing the IronMan kit when the movie was still in theaters) hurts sales, but the LiS & VttBotS kits were released decades later and are doing well.

·
Premium Member
2,825 Posts
To answer the original posted question, my absolute favorite Moebius kit other than Jupiter 2 is a toss up between
1/128 Seaview, 1/24 Flying Sub, 1/24 Chariot and the 1/24 Space pod.
There are specifically two other craft in the Irwin Allen universe that I would love to see given the "Moebius treatment", but that will be up to them to produce (or not), hopefully in the not too distant future.

·
Registered
520 Posts
It's very cool actually. This is one area where "our generation" most definitely got a better deal than our parents.
Well, considering that my Dad spent a considerable amount of his youth ducking Nazis and then Russians - yeah, my childhood rocked. He did get to pick up all sorts of weapons off of the battleground and spent many a weekend "test firing" them at abandoned tanks on the Hel Peninsula in Poland, though....... I just blew up models with firecrackers. Hey, haven't heard any of us doing that with Moebius' models. I guess we have grown up. :tongue:

Gene

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Its truly a tribute to Frank that HE went the extra mile on the aurora kits that no one else thought would sell the second time around....

so far my favorites are:

1. Jekyll & Hyde repop (well whatddya know... it DID have "appeal" after all!)

2 Voyager repop ( not so "esoteric " that it wouldnt sell after all!)

3. BIG frankie ( YES, as I said in 2001, many would pay $80.00 to -$100.00 for it after all!)

4. Space pod

5. chariot

The large seaview and Jupiter 2 kits are great to be sure, but too big for my preference and room constraints...

Z

·
Curmudgeon
6,600 Posts
The large seaview and Jupiter 2 kits are great to be sure, but too big for my preference and room constraints...

Z
Same here, as well as the Flying Sub and even the Chariot and Space Pod kits; I guess we're in the "can't please all of the people" category.

As for my personal favorites, I'm going with Eye Gone Wild, The Invisible Man, and Dr. Jekyll as Mr. Hyde, and I'm reasonably sure I'll eventually add the Viper MkII (and any subsequent BSG kits) and (if they continue the line) any future Von Franco kits to the list.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
He's Evoking Lincoln...

One of the best lines from "2010"
Head of the Space program talking to Floyd outside the White House

"He's evoking Lincoln. Whenever a President wants to get us in trouble, they always quote Lincoln."

Best kits?

J-2
Chariot
Pod

Flying Sub
Big Seaview

Iron Man

I have a feeling the Viper is going to change a lot of people's rankings, tho:)

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
If not the J2, what kit has Moebius produced that has pleased you most?
I didn't even take a stab at answering the question before. Just having too much fun tracking down the exact Churchill quote.

Much as I think the J2 is a masterpiece (large, super detailed, with tons of opportunity to put a real artistic stamp on), I think the ones that have pleased me the most haven't come out yet.

The Viper Mk2 is my favorite of the BSG fighters and having fiddled with the kit for a week or so taking measurements, I've got to say that the kit is a gem. (A few assembly oddities, but I'm guessing that most of those were ironed out with the second test shot.)

The Moon Bus. This is my grail kit. Hands down the kit I've most anticipated since the 1:12 2001 Space Pod.

As for the kits that have already been released, we're looking at the Chariot and Flying Sub.

As you've no doubt guessed, I'm a hardware guy, not a figure guy. :wave:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts