Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, how many of you guys leave your HW carded--and if you do what do you generally leave that way?

I have some collector club stuff and a few other cars that are either TH or over 10+ years old, etc etc...so I left them carded.

On the other hand, I pretty much sold off all the other toys in my collection except for what I love--and really all of those things, action figures etc..are opened with the exception of some very hard to get items.

So my HW fall into the catergory of things I love and I'll pretty much never get rid of. (in fact I sold off alot of stuff just to make room for diecast, slots...etc in general).

I have the Unocal trucks--and I have a variation. Color and wheels are a bit different, I've been dying to open up and maybe take some pics...but I can't bring myself to do it!!

So this whole long boring post just to ask.....do you open your cars???

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
I'm not a opener but many are. It seems to me you should open yours. You ain't gettin rich on diecasts so go for it.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
I would open them all as you will enjoy them more once they are loose and you can now hold them in hand.... IMHO the people who collect diecast still sealed are MISSING OUT :rolleyes:. I enjoy the cars in hand as I have yet to figure out how a person can really enjoy the cars still sealed in the boxes or blister packs. Now if I had Original Redlines still sealed in the packs, then that may be hard for me to open as not many are still sealed in the world being NM or Mint.

I say crack em as you will enjoy them more :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
You mention having club pieces, I assumme RLC. I will tell you that a RLC piece CANNOT be truly appreciated in the package. The spectraflame paint on RLC pieces is second to none, even better than the original redlines. The datails are nicely done, all around great stuff. Open ONE spectra RLC piece, look it over, and then decide. They will never be worth more than you paid for them. If you plan to hold on to them then by all means, open them. get yourself an acrylic display case and enjoy them. You also don't have to worry about protecting the cardbacks for the rest of your life.

·
Premium Member
9,252 Posts
The Hotwheels look Great Loose Congrats.:wave::thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
Great display.
I fall into the non opening catagory. I like the artwork on the cardbacks and when they are displayed I think they look good.
I do have many loose ones that I've come across at yard sales but the ones I purchase stay sealed.
If opening them is your preferance then what ever makes you happy.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I cracked open 270+ cars last week to put them on display in two new wall displays I bought.

200+ mainlines
12 Boulevard
12 Garage
6 Classics
6 Ultra Hots
4 Cars of the Decades
4 Avon mail-in Park-n-Plates
3 $uper Treasure Hunts
3 Hot Ones
3 Mystery Cars
2 Speed Machines
2 Modern Classic
2 2006 Kalifornia Kustoms
1 HWC.com RealRiders Exclusive
1 Since '68
1 Holiday Gift Car
1 Vintage Racing
1 Real Riders
1 Whips Team Baurtwell

Buy a nice wall display and enjoy them :)

·
340 with 727 Tourqeflight
2,930 Posts
I do a little of both. The carded ones primarily because I have a peg board wall and that is how I display them. I have a few vintage carded, but most are open. No RLC so I can't give any advice on those.

I think Liv once posted on here that most anything from the post-blackwall era ('90 or newer) would be worth no more carded than mint loose and I would have to agree. Heck, even some blackwalls don't seem to bring any premium carded vs. mint loose now. I have an extra carded Hot Bird from '82 that's been listed on TTP for a couple of weeks now for less than I've seen mint loose ones go on eBay. The economy I guess :confused:

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
I'm very tactile, I'm in it to play and display. So I open nearly all. I do have a handful still carded for different reasons. One because it's older and was a gift to me, so that's a sentimental reason. Some others are doubles of cars I already have that were gifts as well. Yet a few others are from the 90's and leaving them in the card is as good a way to keep them safe as any.

I appreciate good card art as well, but at the end of the day it's just a bunch of packaging to me. That stuff really piles up if you hold onto it.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I presently have ~300 cars that I've recently decarded and raced on various tracks. Even though I choose to use these cars for their designed purpose, I still try to store and care for them as 'collectables'.

Contrary to popular belief, I do not feel the urge to open every car that comes my way. I have roughly 700 unopened cars in storage, a majority of which will remain unopened(unless a specific casting is desperately needed to fill a roster spot). I also keep a "stable" of unopened 'racers'...that is, "known 2B fast" castings for use in stock class races where only carded entries are permitted. But I really don't pursue any new cars that I do not intend to open up & put on a track.

GspeedR :cool:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all your input guys--I swear this is seriously the best hobby forum out there, everyone has been awesome, officially my one stop shopping!

I'm gonna go ahead and pop 90% of em open--actually starting with the RLC stuff.

Does anyone have any idea where I can find good acrylic cases?

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
I open pretty much everything except T-Hunts and Supers. I only keep those packaged because I may want to trade them some day and realize that a lot of collectors only want them in package.

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
Ah......The "To open or not to open" question. :confused:

I suggest you flip a coin and let it land on a table. Heads will be "to open" and tails will be "not to open" (or vice versa).

If the coin lands on the edge (like in an episode of the "Twilight Zone"......a bazillion to one), go buy $10 of Megabucks tickets......YOU WILL BE A WINNER! :hat:

You will be able to buy atleast 2 of each casting (one to open, and one not to open). You can build a 60,000 square foot mansion with plenty of room to display your GROWING diecast collection.

Get a coin now, flip it, at please post the result.

Good luck......I hope it lands on the edge. :hat:

·
Registered
235 Posts
I open pretty much everything except T-Hunts and Supers.
I won't hesitate to open them if the casting has a "history" of performance. THs can be fast too...well, as long as they're rolling on plastic wheels. I've noticed that some of them seem to be assembled with a bit more care than their mainline equivalents which can translate into better performance on the track. I have a Cadillac V16 TH that's quicker than a FTE version and a Chevroletor TH that 'toured the country' in the Featherweight Challenge series. Once I get my hands on a CUL8R TH, it will be put through its paces as well.

And, FWIW...I still have an unopened Ferrari 512M TH that has managed to remain in its protecto-pac despite my persistent desire to make those pretty PC5s spin as fast as they possibly can.

edit 7/14: I went to a HW club gathering today and added 3 more THs to the racing fleet...Chrysler 300C, 16 Angels, and Mega Thrust. They were de-blistered & lubed w/ "diecast steroids"(aka: graphite) as soon as they arrived back home and have been 'tearin' up' my 28ft road coarse all night.

GspeedR :cool:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Been opening up alot of cars both HW and MB since posting this--it's like finding them on the pegs for the 1st time!

Sure I'm leaving a few things here and there sealed and/or in protecto packs--but I gotta tell ya..it's a ton of fun opening these up, getting to do check out every part of it and finally a roll test.

Someone posted here that you can't really appreciate the Spectraflame unless opened up..and now that I've opened up the RLC Racetruck..I agree. It looks different, feels different and looks beautiful rolling along some orange track.

Glad I conquered my fear :D now for some display cases!

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Congrats in being apart of the Crack It Club.... Get Crackin.... Stop when you get to a Original Redline blister pack .... You may want to keep that one minty :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts